Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » You create something that takes on a life/direction/intention of its own and becomes monstrous. Do you kill it if you can? Why?

You create something that takes on a life/direction/intention of its own and becomes monstrous. Do you kill it if you can? Why?

Posted - October 2, 2017

Responses

I already took out AB, but I will NOT attack AM.
      October 2, 2017 8:31 AM MDT

An off-the-wall reply  Ele. I guess because the question is off-the-wall? Thank you for showing up! :)
      October 4, 2017 2:16 AM MDT

I think I would try to without giving it much thought. I'm sure I'd feel incredibly overwhelmed and the guilt of creating something evil would drive me to do everything I could to stop it.
      October 3, 2017 10:10 PM MDT

Me too mk. It's impossible to anticipate all the exigencies whenever you do/say anything. You don't know  what the consequences will be. You do/say something in good faith and it boomerangs on you. I think the people involved in creating the atomic bomb had such thoughts. Regret. I think the internet can be an instrument of much harm though the intention of its creators was not what it has become..an enabler for the world to use as a weapon by spreading lies, engaging in terrorist activities, illegal and criminal too. SIGH. That it undermined and shaped a presidential election is staggering. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      October 4, 2017 2:21 AM MDT

Yes, I think this happens frequently. Good intentions don't always equal good results. The internet is a perfect example. I do think, though, that the internet and the technologies that came along with it have done some wonderfully amazing things. Does the bad outweigh the good? Can we even try to measure it that way?
      October 4, 2017 7:34 PM MDT

I don't know m'dear. I do know it facilitates evil. It spreads lies. It is used to recruit terrorists. It is infiltrated by an unknown number of people whose only goal is to do harm. It was used to buy a presidential election. Before the internet nothing like this existed. With the internet all you need is someone with a computer who is gullible. Sadly there seem to be more of them every day. Conspiracy theories explode that way. Tell a lie, swear it's true and far too many people will believe you. Whether the ultimate harm outweighs the good maybe we shall never know. Thank you for your reply mk and Happy Thursday! :)
      October 5, 2017 3:43 AM MDT