Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » Was Clarice Starling a Mary Sue?

Was Clarice Starling a Mary Sue?

###

Posted - October 5, 2017

Responses

Mary-Sue
    A sexist term used to enforce the misogynistic ideals that female characters/authors shouldn't be allowed to fantasize or write anything along the lines of wish fulfillment. Its misogynistic qualities are exemplified in many ways, most notably being the fact that it's not a term dominated by the male counterpart despite existing in a patriarchal society, as well as the fact that the male counterpart is largely undecided upon in name and also undefined (see urban dictionary's Gary Stu entry which has no definition but to say "A Male Mary Sue", and the Marty-Stu entry which involves the "Mary Sue" definition to define it).

It's usually used on the whole to bully new authors out of writing female characters altogether, making the task seem so daunting to some that they now only write slash fictions with two male characters, also exemplifying the misogynistic qualities this term involves.

I read this and I have zero idea what it means.
    And I'm supposedly smart.

October 5, 2017 11:19 PM MDT

I love the way Amerikan villains are so often All Cpmpetent and able to implement their nefarious schemes from a Jail Cell, In such a context Clarice cannot possible be anything but a puppet dancing to the willains pipe.
    But is that context real? has it ever been real ?. I rather doubt it. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at October 6, 2017 2:55 AM MDT
      October 6, 2017 2:54 AM MDT