Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Per an article by Shane McGlann in The Washington Post dated 10/10/17 researchers say ocean winds could power all human civilization. GREAT?

Per an article by Shane McGlann in The Washington Post dated 10/10/17 researchers say ocean winds could power all human civilization. GREAT?

Endless clean natural power. Who would be against that?

Posted - October 10, 2017

Responses

Sounds good but it would need vast arrays of huge wind-turbines to do so, many, many times greater than what we have now.

Then we'd have to consider the enormous quantities of concrete, steel, copper and rare-earth metals, and synthetic materials made from petroleum derivatives, to make the machines; and consider the huge amounts of fuel needed in making, installing, maintaining and replacing them. For the power output for each machine is only a tiny fraction of the entire demand, hence many, many turbines.

There is also the question of whether extracting such vast amounts of energy from the ocean winds would affect the weather downwind, but I suspect weather systems are normally big enough to survive that.

So whilst such a prediction may theoretically be sound on a purely mathematical basis, it is one that needs approaching with caution.

By comparison, I own a copy of a professional engineers' handbook published in 1908, and its chapter on water-power ends with a similar prediction for water-power made for the population and power demands of the time. It considered the designs of turbines not only for generating electricity but also for driving factory machines.

A century later, people sometimes make the same optimistic predictions but they do not really stand up to scrutiny, and we have to face the fact that our population is growing rapidly, and that growing population in the developing world naturally strives to gain the sorts of power-hungry comforts, needs and luxuries we enjoy here in the West.
      October 24, 2017 11:27 AM MDT

Thank you for a very thoughtful, helpful and informative reply. I read things like that and think WOW how splendid would that be? Because I am completely ignorant about what it would take to actually effect it. So I appreciate it when those who are NOT ignorant  can let me down gently with real-life problems attendant thereto...I  got giddy and you just sobered me up! A 1908 book that mentioned the same thing? Now that does make me giddy! Happy Wednesday Durdle! :) This post was edited by RosieG at October 25, 2017 3:58 AM MDT
      October 25, 2017 1:44 AM MDT

Thank you Rosie! I think when we read predictions made 100 years ago we also need remember that the problems we see now either did not exist then or were not yet recognised, except at purely local levels.

A few years ago I visited an old water-powered flour-mill that had been restored to working order. There was hardly a sound from the several tons of moving timber and iron forming the machinery, just the rhythmic splashing of water on the wheel.

The mill's owners had also installed a small hydro-electric plant for lighting the mill and for light and power in its associated café; and displayed a spare turbine in the café. It was quite small, and the only visible signs of the installation itself were a steel access-cover in the bank of the leat feeding it, and stone arch over the turbine's outlet back into the river. 
      October 25, 2017 4:05 AM MDT

You're welcome m'dear. That mill sounds thoroughly charming. I'm kinda visualizing it right now in my mind's eye. It reminds me of artist Thomas Kinkaide and some of the things he has painted. Since I'm a Foodie I am also reminded of a store called The Grist Mill I used to walk to on my lunch hour many decades ago. It was dark and cool within and as you can imagine everything they baked was WHOLE GRAIN. I used to get these marvelous large raisin and bran "cookies". They weren't really cookies but I forget what they were called. They looked like huge muffin tops. My dad used to love them and I'd buy some to take home.  He'd have one with his coffee or for a snack. They were very healthy and not too sweet but sweet enough to satisfy a sweet tooth. It was so quiet inside. Almost like a cave or another level of the universe. It was only a few blocks from my job so it was an easy walk on my lunch hour. Thanks for the nice memory. That also bring to mind those folks who work hard to repair and restore buildings rather than tear them down and make way for the new. Restoration is a good thing I think. There isn't as much money in it as there is in leveling our history and building a shopping center of course. SIGH. Thank you for your very enjoyable sharing of something that revisits the past. A nice getaway for a few moment. Memories are wondrous aren't they? :)
      October 25, 2017 5:09 AM MDT

Yes, memories can be wondrous...

I feel hungry after reading that!
      October 25, 2017 5:08 PM MDT