Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Has DIBS got anything to do with Jamie's Ribs?

Has DIBS got anything to do with Jamie's Ribs?

Posted - October 10, 2017

Responses

More like her loins.   ;-)
      October 10, 2017 10:49 PM MDT

Ha ha Lyrical...we better watch out;))
      October 10, 2017 11:09 PM MDT

DIBS is a part of the phrase "Calling dibs" and can only be defined in that (rather limited) context.

"Calling dibs" refer to kids at a dinner table. They are NOT allowed to eat before Mum or Dad have said the prayer. But they CAN see the food and decide which food items they want. One kid say "I want a chicken Leg" another say "I want the neck" a third say "I want a piece of breast" by doing that they make it 'bad' for one of the other kids to take the piece the have 'called dibs on'. It works fine as long as there are only a few kids, but when there are many it quickly breaks down and becomes arguments and anger. That can give rise to some pretty complex solutions, like one I read of  where a boy grabbed a chicken leg and licked it before putting it back on the serving plate (this to ensure that none of the other kids would now take that leg)

Nowadays a lot of families have abandoned the tradition of saying a prayer before eating ;-))
      October 11, 2017 12:43 AM MDT

I found a vebsite: https://chicagodibs.tumblr.com/

An extention on the 'calling dibs' explanation I gave above ;-))

October 11, 2017 1:12 AM MDT