Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » How many of you look up words in the dictionary regularly and GOOGLE often to get information on things about which you are ignorant? Why?

How many of you look up words in the dictionary regularly and GOOGLE often to get information on things about which you are ignorant? Why?

Posted - October 19, 2017

Responses

I do.  Because if I interested in something I look it up. Yesterday it was the calculations of various baseball statistics, which lead to looking up a couple of pitchers. I do that often.
      October 19, 2017 6:42 AM MDT

In this digital age, the internet serves as a reliable site that help us unlock vocabularies, among others. However, I am very discreet as to cull correct information from proper authorities, not on any commentaries of questionable sources. I have had bad experiences on googling information on various illnesses and their preventive natural and medical treatments. I googled the results of my medical lab tests prior to visiting my doctors for professional interpretation. I was then called MS. MEDICAL GOOGLE by my friends which according to them was a bad attitude making me anxious of something in-existent. We trust Google the same way we trusted Britannica and other traditional encyclopedias.  Use its features sparingly. When you google, type the phrases "scholarly articles" on topics you want to know on the search bar. I also recommend Google Scholar.
      October 19, 2017 7:00 AM MDT

Are you sure they are friends? How would they know what you Googled unless you told them? Their assessment that it was a bad attitude that drove you to do research is ridiculous. I do that all the time. Any illness with which I am unfamiliar that afflicts friends or family I want to familiarize myself with. When I had a Miniscus tear in my knee I looked it up. When Jim had an inguinal hernia I looked it up. When we were both scheduled for skin cancer surgery and were told it would be "Mohs" surgery I looked it up. It was not a bad attitude that motivated me. It was so I could understand better the mechanics of it, the need for it and what to expect. If they do not do that it matters not. But to criticize YOU for doing it? Seriously?  Apologies for my directness Blessedwoman. I assume these friends have other attributes that show they are supportive, substantive and of value to you. Thank you for your thoughtful reply! :)
      October 19, 2017 7:28 AM MDT

I check for spelling
    I am interested in music and tv/movies so I am always on imdb
      October 19, 2017 7:10 AM MDT