Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Take a break from politics. Worry not. It'll still be there next year. Put it aside until January 2, 2018. What could it hurt?

Take a break from politics. Worry not. It'll still be there next year. Put it aside until January 2, 2018. What could it hurt?

Posted - November 13, 2017

Responses

Please let that be your plan.
      November 13, 2017 6:49 AM MST

• There's no way you could, in the wildest imaginings of man, pull that off. As Howard Cosell used to say, I know it, you know it and the world knows it.
      November 13, 2017 7:00 AM MST

• That sounds lovely :) Just watch cartoons instead of the news until next year... cos I said so.
      November 13, 2017 6:10 PM MST

I'm not a cartoon gal except for PEANUTS.  Years ago I used to read every cartoon in the paper? Now? Well none of 'em are interesting to me. But the holidays are all about baking and cooking and being grateful.  Why pollute your senses with political crap? It never changes. It is ubiquitous. Unless someone starts a nuclear war we won't even notice what's going on. Tune in next year. Just like a soap opera. No matter how long you stay away from one once you go back it's like you never left. SIGH. Thank you for your reply. Do you like to bake/cook Jaimie? If so do you have any holiday specialties reserved for celebratory occasions? I once invented a pie for my dad. I don't remember the occasion. The crust was made of butter/flour/crushed walnuts/a little sugar. I baked it and let it cool. Then I made custard and put that on the bottom and chilled the pie. Then I thickened blueberries and put some sugar in that, placed it on top of the custard and once again let it cool. Then I topped if off with REAL hand-made whipping cream...not the canister kind. I was 12. He LOVED it. My sister still makes that pie on special occasions! :)
      November 14, 2017 1:39 AM MST

• The pie you invented sounds good :)..... A big nope on me baking :) Just this Thanksgiving ( we had ours a month ago in Canada) My sister asked me to bring a few pies for dessert, and made a joke about she knew they'd be store bought cos I can't bake:/
    I don't like being told I can't do something so I decided I'd 'show her' and bake a couple pies:) I bought all the stuff on list of ingredients, got home, THEN decided to read instructions...I didn't have any measurement spoons or any freakin pie plates for that matter.. cos I don't bake :/ ... so I just picked up a couple of pies at a bakery instead, I totally could have baked those pies though... I just changed my mind :)
      November 15, 2017 4:58 AM MST

That is so cute!  You bought all the ingredients but didn't realize you had no measuring spoons or pie plates? Well your heart was in the right place Jaimie and I KNOW one day you will make a KILLER pie and then the folks who doubted you will tell you it's the best pie they ever had. But timing has to be right. You have be in the right frame of mind. You have to be in the mood. I mean if you're anything like me being "FORCED" to do something you don't feel like doing at that moment never bodes well or ends well. I've learned from that.  We have a local restaurant/pie shop called Polly's. It's a chain. They made VERY GOOD pies. We try to limit the amount of sugar we eat but for a celebrator treat we will indulge by buying a pie. Let me know futurely if you do bake one what kind it is. Okey dokey?   I also don't like being told I can't do something. Many decades ago I attended UCLA. The gal I roomed with told me I shouldn't bother going to a local department store to get a part-time job. She tried and didn't get hired. Well you know what happened, right? I went there, applied and was hired. They knew I was a college student and  accommodated my work hours to my school schedule. But I only worked there a few of months. When I gave notice the department supervisor called me in to her office and said they hoped I would stay and make a career in merchandising and offered to pay for the education required.  I was floored. But I turned them down and I often wonder what direction my life would have taken if I had accepted that kind offer? But you know when you're 18 you know everything! SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday m'dear!  :)
      November 15, 2017 5:49 AM MST

• You must have really impressed them to offer you that kind of opportunity at age 18. Hopefully is not an avenue you regret not taking. At least you 'showed' your college roommate :)
    I'll let you know whenever I get around to baking a freakin' pie ;)

Have a nice day, Rosie:)
      November 16, 2017 7:04 AM MST

They put me in the Sportswear department to begin with and then I was moved around where needed.The store was Bullock's in Westwood. I don't know if it is still there. The hardest one was Men's Clothing. What do I know about that? But I was only there a week to fill in for someone on vacation and I guess I didn't screw up too badly. The most fun I had was housewares! I've always loved to bake so I could really engage with the customer's on that and advise them. I know. 18! But gosh I baked my dad a special pie when I was 12 so I kinda knew what I was talking about! Whether it would have been a career I loved I don't know. I was very flattered. Same thing happened years later. I had a full-time job and also worked nights (Monday, Friday) and all day Saturday. It was in a bookstore in Pasadena called Vroman's. I don't know if it is still there. But when I gave notice because it was really hard to get things done when all I was Sundays the head of the store...the manager..called me in to his office and offered me a full-time position and as I recall he was going to put me in charge of a department. Now what I had done part-time was to make sure books were where they belonged. Informed section managers when they were running low on some books so they could put more out. Occasionally working the register when it was really crowded there. I always kept busy. I LOVE to read and LOVED to be surrounded by books but I didn't think what I did was anything out-of-the-ordinary. I didn't even know the store manager knew me. I  mean someone else hired me and he was always upstairs somewhere in an office. Again I was flattered  and I will never know what that future might have held. The road not traveled. We all have them in our lives. We all wonder what might have been. Thank you for your reply Jaimie and Happy Friday m'dear! :). I wonder what kind of pie it will be! What is your favorite pie?  That would be good incentive don'tcha think?
      November 17, 2017 3:54 AM MST