Discussion » Questions » Jobs » This is for the gals. If a V.P. of the company where you work said "you look very pretty today" how would you react? Why?

This is for the gals. If a V.P. of the company where you work said "you look very pretty today" how would you react? Why?

Posted - November 20, 2017

Responses

Say "Thank you " and go back to my job.
      November 20, 2017 4:21 AM MST

Well I didn't when a V.P. said that to me m2c. I'm shocked at your reply. I told him that those words made me very uncomfortable and I would appreciate it if he never said such things to me again. He took it very well. He apologized for making me uncomfortable. He never made me pay for my honesty. He was always very respecful and cordial to me. Truth rocks! I think he was amazed at my reply but I am ALWAYS HONEST and I didn't want to let it go and have him think I appreciated it. I didn't. It was extremely unprofessional. So that's another difference between us I guess. I speak up and you let it  slide unless you were complimented by it. Unless it has happened to you well you can't be sure how you would react. I would do the same over and over and over again. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :) I also despised it when men whistled at me. I just ignored them but I felt disrespected by it.
      November 20, 2017 4:44 AM MST

Personally if that was all there was to it...I would just take it as a compliment and not think anything else of it.   I don't consider that to be sexual harassment or inappropriate...as long as that is all there is to it.
    Again, context and tone which are hard to convey in text form would matter a lot.
    It is good that you were able to tell your VP that is made you uncomfortable.  This post was edited by my2cents at November 21, 2017 6:06 PM MST
      November 20, 2017 4:49 AM MST

Here's what I think m2c. Anything that makes me feel uncomfortable is inappropriate. Now if a friend/co-worker/peer at work, male or female, had said that I would have had no problem with it. It's that when a powerful person who has authority over you crosses that line you need to speak up. At least that's how I feel.  I once had a supervisor put his hand on my knee. Later that morning he put a present on my desk which I did not open. I went to the Human Resources Director, handed him the gift and told him about what happened. He took me very seriously.  He transferred me THAT DAY to another company facility closer to my home and that executive was "let go" not too long thereafter. Apparently they did some digging into his activities and found that I was not the only one with whom he had been inappropriate. Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at November 20, 2017 5:38 AM MST
      November 20, 2017 5:21 AM MST

I agree the hand on the knee followed by a gift  is most definately inappropriate. 
    As far as the "pretty" comment I think the first time it is fine....if it continues afterw being made aware of an employee's being uncomfortableness then any farther comments would be inappropriate. 
      November 20, 2017 5:37 AM MST

Maybe m2c. But if I hadn't said anything to him I would have been very uncomfortable around him and tried to avoid him. Now he was the VP who was the boss of my boss whom I adored. So I couldn't avoid his boss. I know me. I did the best thing for me which is to always speak up right away and get things straight. Sometimes it gets me in trouble but I don't care. I have to live with myself first and foremost. Most of the time it works out just fine. I never said a word to my boss about it of course. There was no need to do so. I appreciated how the VP took it and I think perhaps he saw me in a new light. He was always very polite and respectful to begin with but I felt a new shift in attitude. I liked it. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but every game you play has to be by your own rules. Don't you think?. This post was edited by RosieG at November 20, 2017 5:52 AM MST
      November 20, 2017 5:43 AM MST

Right,  I think the way you handled it was perfect for your situation.  And the VP also handled it perfectly...he stopped. 
    I also think for my situation it is fine. As I would not be uncomfortable with a compliment as long as that is all there is.  
      November 20, 2017 6:11 AM MST

Makes sense. Thanks m2c! Are you cooking on Thanksgiving or being a guest somewhere? It's just Jim and me  so I'm gonna make  something simple. :)
      November 20, 2017 6:26 AM MST

Home cooking with the kids and grandkids. 
      November 20, 2017 6:35 AM MST

My boss and I have worked together for more than 26 years.  If he were to tell me I looked pretty on a particular day, I would take it as a compliment. 
      November 20, 2017 10:48 AM MST