Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » If you are a bully or a troll, (knowing the heavy ones never last here,) will you tell us why?

If you are a bully or a troll, (knowing the heavy ones never last here,) will you tell us why?

Many of us here tend to ask each other why, over and over in different ways.

Some of us believe we know why, or assume we do.

But I'm not sure if any of us has ever asked YOU.

What do you feel when you've just posted something trollish?

What do you feel in response to others' reactions?

Does it give you something that you wish to experience again?

And if you know, what lies deep underneath?

How does it affect your relationships with people?

Serious answer not expected, but would be greatly appreciated.

Posted - July 29, 2016

Responses

There's a big difference in bullying and trolling, but a lot of studies have linked both behaviors to NPD. The annoying ones get their kicks from it. The more difficult ones don't even realize they're doing it or they try to justify it by saying others have done the same. Right now, those who delight in it are gone, leaving just the folks who don't realize they're doing it. I bet if you ask a question that targets people with NPD in some kind of congratulatory way for being strong-willed or opinionated, those folks will flock to it. ;)

July 29, 2016 8:29 PM MDT

I don't think this is an us-versus-them kind of issue.  There's a bit of bully/troll in all of us.

Of course, if some need a scapegoat or pariah to feel better about their own brand of nastiness, then who am I to stop them?

BTW, how does one define 'troll' these days?  I'm new here and have no desire to 'troll' or 'bully' anyone, so I need to know.  Is there a site definition?

What if I post a question which implies a position contrary to your own in re: LGBT rights, gun rights, etc.?  Am I a troll or a bully then, or am I only the bad guy if it starts a flame war (i.e., discussion)?

July 29, 2016 8:35 PM MDT

How does one define 'troll' these days?  I'm new here and have no desire to 'troll' or 'bully' anyone, so I need to know.  Is there a site definition?

What if I post a question which implies a position contrary to your own in re: LGBT rights, gun rights, etc.?  Am I a troll or a bully then, or am I only the bad guy if it starts a flame war (i.e., discussion)?

July 29, 2016 8:36 PM MDT

If you call names or attack a person instead of discussing the issue, it's bullying.If you follow someone from question to question to bother them about unrelated things, it's stalking/ harassment/ bullying. If you get on a thread or a blog for no other reason than to heckle the poster, it's bullying/ trolling. 

If you're capable of expressing unpopular opinions that aren't hate speech towards a protected class (race/ religion/ gender/ orientation), you're fine.

July 29, 2016 10:41 PM MDT

• Troll questions contain a "no-possible-answer" quality - whatever you answer, it will provoke the questioner to "shoot" the responder.

The Fanatic - someone with a fixed and evangelical position about their politics or faith, who wants to challenge opponents to a duel and when they respond, shoots them down with scornful names and verbal abuse. They don't argue with ideas, policies, precepts, values or logic. If they use any "evidence," they give it meanings it doesn't and could not have.  This kind of attitude can come from any position and is not particular to one side or another. The thing that they believe in might have nothing wrong with it - it's how they go about fighting for their cause that is the problem.

The Trapper- the questions can't be answered without the responders biting themselves in some way. A direct and honest answer appears to justify a nasty response. Or a question may seem open but be barbed, because the questioner expects only one kind of answer and will tolerate no other. Skating the edge of this category - the question for which there is no possible known statistical, factual, or logical answer, and so every answer is at best a poor guess and hence judged (by the questioner) to be inappropriate or "wrong."

The Sarcasm Addict - the question itself is disrespectful to anyone who answers, inviting a potential string of abusive exchanges. Or to the self (self-immolating) inviting an excuse to become scornfully defensive. Some of these are either grandiose or hideously dark.

Most of us believe the best way to deal with these questions is to ignore them.

JA understands it much better than I do because she's had so much more experience. She referred above to the  NPD's - those with Narcissistic Personality Disorder - they never know they have it. If you look up the symptoms on-line, you'll soon recognize the characteristics very easily. At it's briefest, it comes down to the absence of compassion and empathy - something seriously missing in the person's character and emotions.

It's pretty easy not to be a bully or a troll - just speak your truth with respect for the different views of others.

or take it a step further - being helpful and feeling-with another can go a long way towards making this a great site.

The humor is important. Light-hearted or clever wit (not my strong suit) is a great release and lots of fun. Some people here are brilliant at it.

July 30, 2016 12:14 AM MDT

Excellent.  This is precisely the kind of definition which should be added to the TOS (if it isn't already).

Now, what's a protected class?  Aren't the feelings, rights and values of everyone important? Are group rights more valuable or valid than individual rights?

July 30, 2016 12:28 AM MDT

Oh, my!  The more I study these responses the more complex the definitions get!  I guess I'll just have to defer to group leaders, moderators and censors if I step over the line...assuming I don't step so far over it on the first offense that I'm deactivated.

July 30, 2016 12:32 AM MDT

It's all in the TOS. There's a general breakdown in the news and help group as well: http://answermug.com/group/answermug-news-and-help

We have some people here with very unpopular opinions and they've never faced any kind of disciplinary action. You have the right to an opinion, but you don't have the right to mistreat people. If you can't tell the difference in the two, your time here probably will be short-lived. I think, in all my time here, I've had to remove maybe 6-7 people. Our goal is to keep ideas flowing, so we try to help bring you back on track and have you word things so they're not an issue. You'll get a notice and an explanation the first time your content is taken down. If you don't catch on, the second time is a suspension. Most people catch on. Don't target people and you'll probably be ok. 

July 30, 2016 12:59 AM MDT

Your replies inside this question may give one the idea that you want to explore the thin line between what is acceptable and what is not. Personally I believe that to be a wrong approach. Be sincere and genuine in your approach and in most cases it won't be an issue. My best advice.
      July 30, 2016 2:26 AM MDT

*LIKE*

This adds it up! Thank you. :-)
      July 30, 2016 2:27 AM MDT