Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » If my dog needed medication once a month, according to the prescription bottle, and if I started the meds on July 30, wouldn't August 30 be the next dose

If my dog needed medication once a month, according to the prescription bottle, and if I started the meds on July 30, wouldn't August 30 be the next dose

Someone told me that's incorrect and that I should be counting 30 days from the date I started giving them the prescription. What would you say to them.

Posted - August 1, 2016

Responses

Time matters when you're dealing with really short doses... once a day, once every 4 hours, etc. By the time you get to the point where it's once a month, a single day isn't going to matter. Give it on the 30th if it's easier for you to remember that way. 

August 1, 2016 1:15 AM MDT

Just Asking, thank you.  Yes, it's much easier to remember.

August 1, 2016 2:59 AM MDT

Yeah, I'd say so.

August 1, 2016 6:41 PM MDT

I'd ask the vet!!!  personally, I'd go exactly 30 days.........count them on the calendar and mark the date!! any pet's health is too precious to mess around with.......as for one day or more, NOOOO  if it's supposed to be 30 days, then COUNT THE 30 DAYS ON THE CALENDAR AND MARK THAT DATE!!!!!!!!

OK??????

August 2, 2016 8:34 AM MDT

ben1011, ouch, you just yelled in my ear.  ;)  

August 4, 2016 11:23 PM MDT

ben1011, I had yet another vet appointment today and I asked her that question.  She said it would be fine to do it either way but she said it might be easier to remember if it was on the same day of the month. She may have had a different answer if we had been discussing serious conditions and not the new flea medication. 

August 6, 2016 12:32 AM MDT