Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Pregnancy » Those of you who are cool with gestational surrogacy, do you see a problem with the surrogate and parent being related?

Those of you who are cool with gestational surrogacy, do you see a problem with the surrogate and parent being related?

I know some people are against surrogacy for religious reasons, and that's all well and good. What I'm curious to know is if the folks who are normally ok with it see it as being bad when the gestational surrogate is related to the biological parent. To be clear, a gestational surrogate has no biological relationship to the child. She only carries it. The egg comes from another woman.

I hear of this often with sisters carrying each other's babies and such and nobody ever says anything, but this news article makes a huge deal of a woman carrying her brother's baby, conceved via IVF with a donor's egg. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-54972/Surrogacy-scandal-thats-shocked-world.html

Posted - August 1, 2016

Responses

Not only am I cool with it, I'm not sure I understand why others would have a problem.  Whatever two or more consenting individuals do with their own bodies is none of my business.

Edit: and now that I think about it, I'm equally puzzled about religious objections. In some cultures it's considered the duty of a man to impregnate his dead brother's wife if the brother died leaving his wife childless.

August 1, 2016 11:43 PM MDT

Nope, not at all.

August 1, 2016 11:49 PM MDT

• I think you're barking up the wrong tree ... you're looking for logical answers to a feeling about emotions

August 2, 2016 2:26 AM MDT

I don't have a problem with it it sounds more like the author of the article has an issue because the brother and sister are rich. The article said they only had the children because they needed an heir to the fortune. The article was reaching for things as well. Claiming the two children were twins because they had the same biological parents (brother and American surrogate) That is not twins...that is siblings.
    It sounds like they also lied to the Dr who helped with the implantation claiming to be husband and wife not siblings.

I don't know of religious objections to surrogacy.
      August 2, 2016 7:03 AM MDT

I don't like anything about it.  It has nothing to do with religion. Laws are changing.

http://www.creativefamilyconnections.com/us-surrogacy-law-map

August 2, 2016 2:06 PM MDT

I see a boatload of problems, many that are not discernable at the outset. 

This is an in-depth paper written by an expert on the subject.  When you are the surrogate mother, more often than not, you form a bond with the baby.

If you are a male donor?  There may be problems, there may not be, but to see your child and not allow it to BE your child can open up a whole can of worms.

http://www.bioethics.org.au/Resources/Online%20Articles/Opinion%20Pieces/1901%20Oh%20Baby%20Baby%20The%20Problem%20with%20Surrogacy%20MT.pdf

August 2, 2016 2:16 PM MDT