Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Is it better for a species to be stupid than smart, because it will survive longer?(on Earth, anyway)

Is it better for a species to be stupid than smart, because it will survive longer?(on Earth, anyway)

The life of a species is about 100,000 years. Humans, the smartest species, are working on destroying themselves and the planet, so would it be better if we weren't so smart?

Posted - August 3, 2016

Responses

Sociologists and anthropologists will generally say yes. It's better for the survival of a species to be stupid and breed like rats.

Haven't you ever noticed that advanced, heavily industrialized/technological cultures tend to "family plan" themselves out of existence?  By contrast, the cultures not so advanced will breed like tribbles.  Education, technical advances and the success which follow is the best birth control there is.  Who wants to have kids when you can wile away the days playing Pokemoron Go?

The population growth rates of much of the western world are cratering whereas, in third world countries (to say nothing of the 'Islamic world'), they're popping out babies like Ford pops out cars. 

August 3, 2016 1:53 AM MDT

Yeah, if we wouldnt have developed so much technology then the planet and us as a species would be safer, but it would alsoo be harder and life would prolly be pretty pointless if we were so stupid.... so I guess it doesnt matter.

August 3, 2016 1:53 AM MDT

Either way, my conclusions are born out in every study I've ever read on the subject.  High standards of living will drop birth rates like nothing else.

August 3, 2016 1:57 AM MDT

I agree with Nimitz. It's a numbers game. Some creatures survive because they reproduce like mad, but they also tend to have short lifespans. Houseflies and aphids live a month. Roaches live a year. 

Humans aren't designed to breed as quickly, so if we were dumb and slow breeders, we'd all be gone already.

August 3, 2016 3:07 AM MDT