Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Family » Is it a good idea to always listen to your mother? What about Norman Bates. He always did, and look where that got him.

Is it a good idea to always listen to your mother? What about Norman Bates. He always did, and look where that got him.

Posted - February 18, 2018

Responses

Problem is Norman listened to his mother long after she was dead :(
    Cookoo, cookoo This post was edited by O-uknow at February 18, 2018 9:46 PM MST
      February 18, 2018 8:57 PM MST

• Nup.
    My mum was not very bright, even though she admired intelligence.
    She left school very young and her general knowledge was limited, dependent on news radio and current affairs.
    She was an only child with an inheritance.
    She never worked, except as a volunteer during WWII, so she missed a lot of the usual life experiences.
    From the time I was four, she was severely alcoholic.

I learned the hard way that following her advice usually led to unhappy results.
      February 18, 2018 9:20 PM MST

That was not his mom. That was him.  He went nutso after murdering her. 

She might have been nice as pie, we only know this from Norm's standpoint.  He was a nutbag.

But I think Hitchcock actually wanted us to know that his mom was the reason he went over the edge.  She drove him nuttier than he was.

So, not all mom's fit the mom role.   The Mother archetype has certain qualities not recognized in many women who got pregnant and just had no clue what to appreciate about this gift.

They didn't have the tools necessary to care.  They did not know how to mother. 

Then there are the great majority of women who just naturally have that "gene".   I was not one of these women.  My mom was and I have, in my maturity learned the value of such a role.  I can think of no greater honor than to be a good mother.

It takes WORK but the returns are priceless. 

I have one daughter and she is precious beyond imagining to me now.   I wish I would have known how to value her when she was a baby.   I was not abusive, I was just not thrilled to be a mom.

I was a total imbecile, looking back now. 
      February 18, 2018 9:28 PM MST

• Yes. It was him and not his mum.
    I posted this question more on the humorous side, but I guess being new here comes with people being unfamiliar with your sense of humour.
    Thanks for your answer.
      February 18, 2018 9:48 PM MST

The quote doesn't say anything at all about acting on it, so yes. Personally, I listen to everything my mother says and then do the exact opposite. It has served me well. I have yet to murder a single person. Yay me!
      February 18, 2018 11:50 PM MST

• Heh. Wise woman.

Oh. And thanks for the laugh :))
      February 19, 2018 12:30 AM MST