Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » How did the FL shooter get into the School?

How did the FL shooter get into the School?

He was expelled. Administration had been told to watch out for him make sure he was not allowed on campus ever with a backpack of any kind.

The school had only one way in and out and had a school resources officer. 
Yet, he was able to get into the school to pull the fire alarm during the school day. 

How did was that allowed to happen?

Posted - February 19, 2018

Responses

1) Would the NRA/You have allowed his weapons to be confiscated, if they/you had been informed of his erratic behaviour  ?

2) Should the police have reacted by confiscating the weaponry if informed ? Would the NRA/You have supported that ?
      February 19, 2018 10:57 AM MST

Neither of those apply to my question. 
    I am not on the board of the NRA nor even a member of the NRA. 
    As for me personally:
     I would support a law that allowed police to temporarily remove a person's firearms if they were acting erratically such as this man was. The officers should be required to present their case to a judge just as they would to get a warrent in any other case. Then a case would automatically be scheduled for determination of whether or not the person is a threat and should be permanently prevented from having a firearm. Where the person would have the opportunity to defend themselves before loosing their rights.

Do you have any idea as to how he go into the school? This post was edited by my2cents at February 19, 2018 11:30 AM MST
      February 19, 2018 11:29 AM MST

Why not share your opinion? Usually you are quite eager to say what other people should do ;-)

From JA's link in her answer below:
    “I have been told by a couple of sources that the SRO was either called off campus responding to something happening or it could have been his day off,” she said. “They are stretched very thin.”
      February 19, 2018 7:56 PM MST

To me it sounds like the school is lying. At least the guy on Meet the Press was or the article in the Sun is lying. There was not only one way in/out. And the officer was not around. I think he came in through one of the side buildings that should have been locked. 
      February 19, 2018 8:41 PM MST

Good question

He came when he knew the gates would be open and set off a fire alarm that would dismantle a safety system, officials say. And the school resource officer, who is supposed to help protect students, may not have been on school grounds at the time.

More here:  https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-school-shooting-20180215-story.html
      February 19, 2018 12:09 PM MST

Thank you. The article says the gates were open. But gates would be in the parking lot, not the school itself.
    I seen a school official on Meet the Press say there was only one way in and one way out of the school.....the article does not say that it in fact says the opposite, saying doors were open to allow students easy access to their classes. And to pull the fire alarm he was in the school not just on the campus. 
    One of these two are lying. 
    The school official also made it sound as if certain the school resource officer was on campus. 

I started wondering because my children's school have the same protocols. One way in, one way out with an officer. 
      February 19, 2018 12:21 PM MST

Yes, and I  expect it will be a while before we get a precise answer to your question---if ever.

February 19, 2018 12:24 PM MST

This was a great question. I wasn't aware the school had those protocols and I spoke on another question about these protocols being a possible solution. I researched it just now. It turns out, he arrived after they unlocked the gates into the school. Several doors remain unlocked throughout the day for students who move between buildings. Ergo, as soon as someone can get behind the fence, they have access to the school proper, regardless of the time. People are only funneled through the front door when the gates are locked. 

The link will insert an "s" for https- just remove it if it gives you an error.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-school-shooting-20180215-story.html 
      February 19, 2018 2:46 PM MST

There was a school official on Meet the Press this weekend who stated that there is only one way in and one way out and a school resource officer. Sounds good but that is not the case. The parking lot is secured during the day but not the school. There are doors that lock when closed but will let someone exit the building but not open to go inside. My school had these 20+yrs ago. A school this size should at least have these. The idea that they don't know if the officer was there or not is disturbing. Along with the fact that a school that large only had one and more than on exit/entrance is also scary. 
      February 19, 2018 4:35 PM MST

It's my understanding that he waited until dismissal time where there would be a lot of kids outside, in the hallways, and still coming out of class.  It's one of the biggest schools in the country as I understand it.  He also knew to dress in similarly to the other students so he would "blend in".
      February 19, 2018 3:13 PM MST

Yes pretty much but he started about 20 min before dismissal. So gates were open but students still inside.
      February 19, 2018 4:18 PM MST

Those students never had a chance.  
      February 19, 2018 4:46 PM MST

Good question

He came when he knew the gates would be open and set off a fire alarm that would dismantle a safety system, officials say. And the school resource officer, who is supposed to help protect students, may not have been on school grounds at the time.

More here: https://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-school-shooting-20180215-story.html

Tom Jackson

Not me....
      February 19, 2018 11:33 PM MST