Active Now

Thebigd
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Why would you have security cameras with 20 delay?

Why would you have security cameras with 20 delay?

The FL school that had the shooting. Had a 20min delay. Even if the resource officer had seen the shooter on the screen. It would have already been over. 

Does anyone know why this would be a useful feature?

Posted - February 22, 2018

Responses

My best guess is that it was not a "feature." It was outdated tech or human error. I'm interested to hear the real response, though. 

One of the things I keep saying is that schools are underfunded. Things like this are incredibly rare- they probably didn't need real-time monitoring, but rather, went back to recordings to see things after the fact. i.e. See which kid started a fight or who vandalized something. If that's the case, then updating the security cameras wouldn't be a primary budgetary issue- they'd work in an update when they could. I could see a school doing that.

Or, maybe there was nothing wrong with the software/ cameras, and someone had rewound earlier to view specific footage, and then just never brought it back to a live feed again after. 
      February 22, 2018 1:18 PM MST

I doubt if we will be told for certain what happened. But the guard maybe having rewinded to see something else does make sense.
      February 22, 2018 1:48 PM MST

rewound
      February 22, 2018 6:53 PM MST

Fine if the purpose of assigning blame rather than preventing certain things from happening.

And someone on here reminded us recently that school shootings provide economic benefits to undertakers.
      February 22, 2018 1:55 PM MST

Mytoo, this is 2018. Few things make sense anymore - they don't have to, the universal 'Dumb Excuses 101' makes it quite unnecessary. 
      February 22, 2018 2:03 PM MST

MY best guess is that Trump has zero concern for funding schools.  Remember?

He loves the uneducated.

Remember?

We have no money for school equipment.  You know, we can save more money still by making teachers carry guns to school.  They can buy their own guns and save those kids that way.   Shoot to kill any terrorist that blasts their way in.

Meanwhile,  the school has faulty surveillance tapes.   SHOCKED? 

'Communication failure' led to 20-minute delay in school shooting video, chief says

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at February 22, 2018 7:40 PM MST
      February 22, 2018 7:38 PM MST

It was a a communication error in terms of the school not telling the police.

I'm no Trump fan, but he's not responsible for our schools. The state of Arizona hacked school funding by 36% in 2008 and still has not restored the same level of funding even though the requirements and demands on teachers have increased, there's still less money to go around.

Instead, schools here essentially "beg" for money via votes- they have to ask voters for bonds. I'm going to have to double-check this, but I believe even requesting the bond disqualifies the school district from receiving a significant amount of funds as well. So, when voters say "nah, not this year, teachers," they really really f things up. All of a sudden, the schools have to restructure things, cut jobs, reduce programs, and so on. There are no raises. It's BS. Either Arizona voters don't get this or they're jerks. All bond initiatives passed in 2017, but not in years prior. We can't blame Trump for that.
      February 22, 2018 8:09 PM MST