Active Now

Slartibartfast
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Spread your hands out so your fingers are straight and locked. Look at them from above. Are your fingers actually straight?

Spread your hands out so your fingers are straight and locked. Look at them from above. Are your fingers actually straight?

My left index finger (and my thumbs) are reasonably straight. All my other fingers curve noticeably. How about yours?

Note: This is NOT a picture of my hands, but my curved fingers are similar.

Posted - August 5, 2016

Responses

Mine are dead straight! aaaaargh what does it mean

August 6, 2016 3:58 AM MDT

I think mine have been bent from years of basketball impacts. I'm just curious to see if others have similar experiences.

August 6, 2016 10:15 AM MDT

Who ever said the skeleton was straight?  There is not one joint that makes the bones that it connects, straight. 

You know that.   There is nothing to make them perfectly straight. The articulations (the ends of each joint section that connect or touch the next articulation are not flat. They are rounded and bumpy. This allows for connection and movement. If they were flat planes and were for the purpose of making the hand straight, we would have little or no mobility in the fingers. Three sections of bone held in place by muscle (movable) ligaments (still movable) and tendons (straight but not solid)

So, hands and fingers are not meant to be perfectly straight.    They are meant to be mobile and functional.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

August 6, 2016 11:02 AM MDT

That's true. I guess the straightness is a function of connective tissue and/or attachment points. Whatever the case, my fingers are messed up...;-D...

August 6, 2016 11:16 AM MDT

They can be remedied.

Even scar tissue can be remedied. 

I never watched this tape, I am trusting that she is going to do things that make sense that anyone can do to themselves.  It explains a lot, I am sure

August 6, 2016 11:50 AM MDT

Mine are not so distorted (yet..;-D...) that I think any sort of corrective is required. I was just idly looking at them and realized the curvatures were noticeable.

August 6, 2016 11:57 AM MDT

Mine all seem to be straight.

August 6, 2016 3:14 PM MDT

I don't suppose you played basketball, did you?

August 6, 2016 3:15 PM MDT

• Mine are slightly curved but then again I box and spar.. so it may be sports related because you said about basketball.

August 6, 2016 4:25 PM MDT

I used to call girls basketball.  No I wasn't good at playing it but I loved it.  I still like to watch BB but not as much as football.    We had enough tall girls that we shorties  never got picked. 

August 6, 2016 4:31 PM MDT

That could do it. The photo I found was from a web site about the dangers of excessive video game playing and how it can distort the fingers of growing children.

August 6, 2016 4:51 PM MDT

• It probably could children are growing and it makes sense we are meant to move and most don't. I do play video games which would also explain it though I'm not a child.

August 6, 2016 7:01 PM MDT

No one is correcting anything.  This is maintenance that all of us should have on our hands.   I was saying if you have issues, they can be remedied, but it feels terrific and it has myriads of benefits.  It prevents arthritis for one thing and if you are banging those digits like you say, with that basketball, then you need to pay heed to my massage tape. 

By the time I am done with you, you will be listening to a lot of tapes I fear.

August 6, 2016 7:27 PM MDT

• Well, they're not that crooked. I'm not some kind of freak. Geeeeeeeeeeeeez.

August 6, 2016 7:35 PM MDT

Yeppers, they are.  Considering I have had my right hand slammed in a car door twice, once crushing three fingers, and a finger on my left hand in a house door...I think that's pretty good.

August 6, 2016 7:40 PM MDT

Are you calling me a crooked-fingered freak?

Well, ok, you have a point.

Still,that's not very nice...;-D...

August 6, 2016 7:41 PM MDT

I wonder if transverse injuries (like crushing fingers in a car door) cause less curvature then axial injuries (the dozens of finger 'jamming' wounds I've incurred over the years)?

August 6, 2016 7:43 PM MDT