Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » History » Though they owned slaves some founders opposed slavery but they did not outlaw it. Why?

Though they owned slaves some founders opposed slavery but they did not outlaw it. Why?

Posted - August 6, 2016

Responses

The hypocrisy of some humans.
      August 6, 2016 6:28 AM MDT

Was hypocrisy born within the first human being Uc? Has it been around forever? Will it be around forever? Thank you for your reply! :)

August 6, 2016 7:18 AM MDT

Why because they needed the slave owning states to beat the British in the Revolution. They would never have helped it we made slavery illegal at the time. But the writers of the Constitution knew the language they were using could later be used to legally free the slaves.
      August 6, 2016 7:53 PM MDT

The Constitutional Framers, despite the hagiography some people apply which make them seem superhuman, were men, with very human flaws and frailties. There are 3 major reasons slavery was not addressed (except obliquely) in the US Constitution.

1) Not all of the Framers saw it as an abomination

2) Even some who found it distateful also found it profitable (in many senses of the word)

3) Had the Framers attempted to outlaw slavery in the Constitution, it never would have been ratified.

August 6, 2016 8:23 PM MDT

They "knew"? I dunno m2c. It seems so weird to me today that they could foresee that far ahead and leave  some wiggle room. I KNOW some of the Founders had brilliant minds. Genius in fact. But to anticipate/foresee such potentiality that far ahead boggles my mind. Thank you for your reply and also for the message informing me about the in-bad-taste comment and why you removed it. I appreciate the feedback. It's kinda like taking a test. That's how you know what you don't know. By what you got wrong so you can learn from it and not do it again! Happy Sunday to thee! :) ((hugs))

August 7, 2016 1:45 AM MDT

Mahalo for your answer OS. It is very  helpful. It just doesn't make sense to me to disapprove of something in which you engage. But then I can just use me as an example. I think killing animals for their fur is a abomination. But I like leather. Go figger!  Happy Sunday!  :)                                                                                                                   

August 7, 2016 1:49 AM MDT