Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » History » I would expect that EVERY United States Citizen has read the Constitution at some time in his/her life. Maybe more than once. What is your favorite part of it and why is that?

I would expect that EVERY United States Citizen has read the Constitution at some time in his/her life. Maybe more than once. What is your favorite part of it and why is that?

My favorite part of the Constitution is the Preamble. It holds so much hope. Mr Kahn  showed us a portable copy of the Constitution when he spoke at the DNC. Do you have a portable copy too? Do you carry it with you? My copy is just the one in the Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language and I must say it is rather  too heavy a book to carry with me.

Posted - August 6, 2016

Responses

Not EVERY citizen has done that.

They should, though.
      August 6, 2016 6:26 AM MDT

I wouldn't want to insult anyone Uc. I decided to take the high road on this one. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)

August 6, 2016 7:16 AM MDT

Hello Rosie:

I'm not especially fond of the stuff that says HOW the government works..  My FAV is the part that tells me what my RIGHTS are.  I've read about 'em on more than one occasion..

While we're ON that subject, I don't mind opening old wounds..  I BELIEVE that the authors DIDN'T make careless mistakes..  Therefore, when the 5th Amendment uses the word "PERSON", I believe they meant "PERSON"..  Right wingers, on the other hand, say they meant CITIZEN, or that the word person MEANS citizen, or something like that.. Of course, they have to tie themselves into knots to change the word "person" into the word "citizen"..

I don't think people who do that LOVE the Constitution at all..  If they did, wouldn't they EMBRACE it as written??

excon

August 6, 2016 7:32 AM MDT

I think those who tell us they LOVE the Constitution and shout and pound and stomp their itty bitty feet when they do so are the very ones who have the least respect for it. They would just as soon pretzelize it as read it. I mean they don't have a clue what the words mean anyway so not having read it doesn't  matter. Thank you for your thoughtful reply excon and Happy Saturday.

August 6, 2016 7:43 AM MDT

Certainly anyone who went to school in the US was required to learn the Constitution...I know I was and so were my children.

The preamble is also my favorite part followed by the 1st Amendment then the 2nd Amendment.

August 6, 2016 8:22 AM MDT

((hugs)) Okey dokey. I agree about the Preamble as you know since it is part of my question information. Thanks for acknowledging that m2c. I appreciate thee! :)

August 6, 2016 8:43 AM MDT

The 5th amendment does apply to persons...why would it not?

August 6, 2016 8:53 AM MDT