Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Is bio-feedback a bunch of hog-wash and malarkey?

Is bio-feedback a bunch of hog-wash and malarkey?

#Phooey

Posted - August 6, 2016

Responses

Hello Mr:

I did it for a few weeks.  I LIKED it.  I think it's the electronic equivalent of meditation..

excon

excon

August 6, 2016 9:18 AM MDT

Nope.   You might be thinking of biomalarky. 

Biofeedback

Biofeedback is the process of gaining greater awareness of many physiological functions primarily using instruments that provide information on the activity of those same systems, with a goal of being able to manipulate them at will. Some of the processes that can be controlled include brainwaves, muscle tone, skin conductance, heart rate and pain perception.
      August 6, 2016 9:27 AM MDT

• I thought that was Pokemon Go. 

#RelevantHumour

August 6, 2016 9:32 AM MDT

It is frequently portrayed as that. But like most everything else it is a matter of knowing what it is, and what it is not. Wiki is helpful there.

I remember an old pulp magazine i read as a kid. There was an ad boasting that the product (acne cream I think) had atoms in it.  That is rather too low a level to start a discussion on ;-))

August 6, 2016 12:32 PM MDT

I really couldn't say.

August 6, 2016 1:50 PM MDT

Biofeedback is not atoms nor acne meds

That is hogwashfeedback

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      August 6, 2016 2:03 PM MDT

THIS is biofeedback

Biofeedback is the process of gaining greater awareness of many physiological functions primarily using instruments that provide information on the activity of those same systems, with a goal of being able to manipulate them at will.[1][2] Some of the processes that can be controlled include brainwaves, muscle tone, skin conductance, heart rate and pain perception.[3]

Biofeedback may be used to improve health, performance, and the physiological changes that often occur in conjunction with changes to thoughts, emotions, and behavior. Eventually, these changes may be maintained without the use of extra equipment, for no equipment is necessarily required to practice biofeedback.[2]

Biofeedback has been found to be effective for the treatment of headaches and migraines.[4][5]

August 6, 2016 2:04 PM MDT

I suspect there is some individual variation in peoples' ability to utilize biofeedback and/or some people need a lot more practice to master it than others.

Just as an analogy, some people* cannot make the Vulcan "live long and prosper" sign with their fingers...

...whereas I find it quite easy to do with either hand. Mastering biofeedback may be similarly difficult for some.

* = Curiously, Zachary Quinto, the actor who plays Spock in the rebooted Star Trek franchise, cannot do the Vulcan salute. For scenes where he's required to do one, he has his fingers glued together.

August 6, 2016 2:21 PM MDT

Old, there is nothing to master.  It is on a monitor system as I recall and you just sit there and it records your brainwaves.  No?

August 6, 2016 2:25 PM MDT

@Shar -- As I understand it, the point is to USE the biofeedback to consciously alter whatever function one is addressing. For example, if someone has trouble with rapid heartbeat due to anxiety, the subject uses the machine that goes "ping" and tries to slow his/her heart rate down so it goes "ping" less often.

After a time, the person has mastered the process of slowing down the heart rate, and the person can do it without needing the audible feedback.

August 6, 2016 2:39 PM MDT

OS, Okay, that is one version of the application.

I have used it for relaxation.  I awoke feeling relaxed and pleasant.   I was not sleeping, per se, but I really didn't do anything.  I just lie there.

Or lay there. I never get lie lay and lain correct, it seems. I do know how to use the term "getting laid" pretty accurately though. Hee hee

August 6, 2016 2:41 PM MDT

I prefer more direct forms of "feedback"...;-D...

August 6, 2016 2:43 PM MDT