Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » If opioids are so addictive, why don't doctors have programs for patients to get off those drugs after treatment?

If opioids are so addictive, why don't doctors have programs for patients to get off those drugs after treatment?

Opioids are given for pain. Some people do recover from illnesses and pain. So this where another part of the treatment should be. I'm not in the medical field, nor do I take such medications. I think if I was, I would try to find an alternative, such as acupuncture. I don't know. It's difficult to know. Terrible pain seems unbearable. What do you think?

Posted - August 9, 2016

Responses

I think the doses are really small compared to what people take to get high, and most people don't get addicted.  I took them once with no problems, so did my daughter.  The nurses said there was no other painkillers like them.  Some people just get addicted to some things really easily.  It's in their genes.  Maybe at some point there will be a test given to find out if someone is likely to get addicted to a drug and then an alternative can be found.

August 9, 2016 8:59 AM MDT