Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Do those who form attachments/relationships easily and often also relinquish them easily and often? What about you? What do you do?

Do those who form attachments/relationships easily and often also relinquish them easily and often? What about you? What do you do?

Posted - August 10, 2016

Responses

• I try to keep them forever. I see no purpose in starting otherwise.

August 10, 2016 7:38 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply NHP and Happy Thursday to thee! :)

August 11, 2016 1:44 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Lucia and Happy Thursday! :)

August 11, 2016 1:53 AM MDT

• I think for me there's a tentative, experimental phase in the beginning of a relationship - the getting acquainted phase. During that time I might drop out very easily, especially if something scares me or is strongly incompatible.

But once I'm in, I'm in for life. I have friends I've known since schools days and others acquired from different phases and places over the years. But my closest friends are always the most local, the ones I'm able to communicate with intimately and fairly frequently.

August 12, 2016 3:34 AM MDT

I think that's probably true, yes.

Generally speaking, I'm friendly to everyone I meet, but definitely don't form close relationships or attachments quickly or easily. Experience has taught that it's not a wise practice, for me, at least. I have to give people the chance to show their true selves before investing my heart, and some people are very good at performing! : )

You ask such great questions! I want to be like you when I grow up! : ) Happy Sunday, Rosie!

August 14, 2016 9:25 AM MDT

It takes me a long time to form attachments that matter.  By that time I'm fairly certain I will not be freely relinquishing anything.

August 14, 2016 9:28 AM MDT

((hugs)) What a sweet and nifty thing to tell me honey.  Well I'm 78 so I'm REAL GROWN UP except inside I'm still that little kid and I expect I always will be . Honestly I can't remember ever receiving a kinder compliment than this one SavvyAnsley!. I do appreciate it and you as well.  Happy Monday! :)                                    

August 15, 2016 4:57 AM MDT

I bond quickly and I can unbond just as quickly Sharonna and never look back.  I have been that way since I was 8. I specifically remember the occasion and the situation and I thought it out and figured out that was the best way to live my life. Give people the benefit of the doubt. ALWAYS. Don't hang on when it's over. Don't sit by the phone waiting for a call that will never come. It is unseemly and so I don't do it. Don't stay in a dead relationship for any reason. It slowly kills you. I've had disappointments and I've had joyful surprises and I will continue to do so till I die I suppose. But no disappointment will destroy me nor will any joyful moment change me. I yam what I yam! Thank you for your reply Sharonna! :)

August 15, 2016 5:01 AM MDT

People can change on a dime unexpectedly hartfire. Even those you've known a very long time. If/when they change the relationship changes. I don't hang in or hang on when something has died. No purpose to doing that. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)

August 15, 2016 5:03 AM MDT

• I see what you mean.

I think you're right that some personalities are much slower to form a real bond, but when they do it's more likely to endure challenges and difficulties. They will work to find a way through to understanding and greater closeness.

One factor is oxytocin. Those who are genetically endowed with more of it are more faithful in marriage and in all their other relationships. And they're also more likely to be jealous or possessive.

But it's also cultural. In Europe, for instance, most people have only two or three real friends during a whole lifetime. It often takes years for the friendship to become close - they want to really know you before making the decision.

August 15, 2016 10:38 AM MDT

I don't know what envy or jealousy is. I have never experienced it. But from what I observe I don't want any part of it. It is destructive and evil and selfish and cruel. I have had many "real" friends in my  life. A few have died sadly.  The friendships were deep and abiding and necessary at the time. People change. Relationships change. But that does not wipe out what was there. That is what you take away with you that becomes part of you. Thank you for your  reply hartfire! :)

August 15, 2016 12:38 PM MDT