Discussion » Questions » Communication » Humbug, cowpats, or mindf**king, how do you determine the difference?

Humbug, cowpats, or mindf**king, how do you determine the difference?

Robert Dessait defines them thus:

humbug = the polite pleasantries and euphemisms we all use which everyone on both sides knows is not true.

cowpats (the alternative word being not permitted on this site) = a deceit which earns money, like selling snake oil, ordinary everyday fraud, expensive baloney.

mindf**king = complete brainwashing performed with sexy spin, mesmerisation, such that the victim has no idea exactly how their sense of reality has been warped or destroyed.

Many of us are rightly cynical, but how do you personally sort fact and logic from fiction, and where do you go to check if you're not sure?

(And how do you know if you are not already beguiled?)

Posted - August 12, 2016

Responses

I take issue with your assumption that "we all use" any of those things. If I open my mouth I tell you what I think.  Not what I think you want to hear so you will like me. I'm not wired that way. "Polite conversation" has never been my cuppa tea so I don't engage in it. It gives me nothing. It is blather and palaver and useless and wastes  time  . I don't bullsh** people.   I don't give compliments where none are deserved. I tell you what I think all the time no matter what...with one caveat of course. I would change the language I use so I wouldn't hurt someone's feelings and I would tell a white lie if it meant being kind rather than being cruel or mean. At my age  what you see is what you get and if you  like it that's great and if you don't that's great too. It doesn't matter to me. I don't tell people what they want to hear. So the humbug and cowpats and bullsh** and sucking up and brown nosing that some engage in I don't. As for being beguiled if you mean have I been tricked? Yes. A lot. Because I tend to believe in people and trust them until/unless they prove me wrong. I'm not suspicious of their motives. I have probably been beguiled a lot in my life and not known it.  Some folks are expert liars. I'm not an expert at lie-detecting  or  phony or faking.   I am very logical but I am not limited by logic so I'm flexible. No doors are locked in my mind. Some are shut but they can always be opened. I'm not rigid nor scripted nor limited by other people's beliefs, views, opinions. I very much appreciate those who understand  me and don't beat me up because of it. They  understand my intention even if I don't always express myself clearly. I like not  having to explain myself. Do those who are brainwashed ever realize it?  Happy Friday hartfire! :) 

August 12, 2016 1:52 AM MDT

I always start from the premise that certain sources of information/influence cannot be trusted (e.g., government and the government's media house organ) and consider them unreliable as a matter of routine. If a source has something to gain by convincing me of X, then X is automatically suspect. (That isn't necessarily anything. :-))

I'm generally inclined to accept information which is consistent with what I've already established to be true and/or which conforms to my understanding of reality, but...anything which elicits or is intended to elicit a change in my approach to life or cognition gets full analysis using previously established modes of thinking.

Any specific assay of whether a given datum is genuine, bovine excrement or mind-copulation, however, generally follows a few simple rules; does the purveyor of the information have anything to gain by convincing me of X as indicated above; does the purveyor of information seek or receive personal gratification by convincing me of X; does the purveyor of information demonstrate an interest in the wellbeing of anyone other than him/herself? Etc.

In summary, I follow the exchange theory of human interaction.  No matter what the transaction, there's always a pay-off for the person who initiated it.  Cui bono?

August 12, 2016 2:38 AM MDT

• Thank you for your passionate and open response, Rosie.

From what I have read of you elsewhere I know it is true.

I apologise for my over generalisations.

Happy Friday to you too! :)

August 12, 2016 4:09 AM MDT

• I love your answer. Thank you! :)

lol at the latinate terminology.

Makes even my glutei maximi giggle.

August 12, 2016 4:15 AM MDT

No apologies needed hartfire and you're welcome! :)

August 12, 2016 4:49 AM MDT

•   August 12, 2016 5:16 AM MDT

• Realistically how can you tell ... If you are beguiled then you may read both sides of an argument but still only believe the side you already believe in and also believe you've explored both sides
      August 12, 2016 7:24 AM MDT

• What a beautiful way of expressing it!

And so simple!

lol :D

August 12, 2016 10:31 AM MDT

• Mmm.

I use four tell-tales:

logic,

evidence,

congruence in language and behaviour,

and looking for motive.

August 12, 2016 8:32 PM MDT