Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Element 99
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » Idolize

Idolize

Why do so many people idolize and obsess over celebrities?

Posted - August 13, 2018

Responses

I think it is a right of passage, where we want some role models to inspire us to focus on a goal and path that is meant for us.

So, if I am attracted to Mother Theresa, I am going to be inspired to carry some of her spirit into my journey in life.

If I am attracted to Ted Bundy, I am in for a world of pain and so is everyone around me.

But, I digress.  We are emotionally the age we are physically, if we are well-balanced. If we still act like an idiot and fawn over our teenaged daughter's Boy Band posters when we are 40, then that is pathetic.

Same thing with men who worship poor Scarlett Johanssen when they are three times her age.

Either we are trying to hard to BE a celebrity or we are trying to pretend we need that crap in our lives.   We have outgrown the right to use idol worship of Elvis Presley or Katie Perry to make us feel like we can identify, when only a 14 year old is that emotionally concerned about loving a star.

Being an adult is fulfilling.  It is your life and you should realize that you are not one ounce happier or unhappier than any movie star. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 13, 2018 9:24 PM MDT
      August 13, 2018 7:59 PM MDT

• ...or over new cars, or fancy clothing, or designer handbags, or the latest phone that'll be obsolete next month.  We all have our idols and teach others to worship them, too, without giving it a thought.  
      August 13, 2018 8:00 PM MDT

Cause they have hemorrhoids.
      August 13, 2018 9:24 PM MDT

Possibly some measure of inspiration, but I suggest it is largely because their own lives are so dull or disappointing. 
      August 14, 2018 4:47 AM MDT

With so many problems in the world, the entertainment industry along with its celebrities offer a measure of escape.
      November 20, 2018 11:16 PM MST