Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness". Stuff the creator endows all humans with and governments are supposed to protect. RIGHT?

"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness". Stuff the creator endows all humans with and governments are supposed to protect. RIGHT?

WRONG. Why? Because for many their pursuit of happiness involves doing irreparable harm to others. The Declaration of Independence does not deal with that. It goes only so far and leaves you hanging. Murderers pursue happiness that make others very unhappy. As do thieves and liars and betrayers and traitors. Once again where is the boundary line between rights of everyone? It depends upon what/who protects those rights doesn't it? Well there ya go. The writers of that Declaration of Independence did not foresee the evil exigencies with which we have to deal today so they did not stipulate against it. SIGH. You have a right to cheat me if that is what makes you happy and I have a right to not be cheated.  Dueling positions. Which right is righter?

Posted - September 18, 2018

Responses

No, it is right. 

Your rights stop, where my rights begin and vise versa. 
      September 18, 2018 7:07 AM MDT

Exactly right.   Hard to imagine that is so difficult for some people to understand. 
      September 18, 2018 8:39 AM MDT

• The problem is that government wants you to believe that it was they, not the creator, that endowed you with certain inalienable rights. Jefferson pointed out the danger in that misrepresentation when he said that anything government gives, government can take away. Government will always work to exceed their parameters and assume powers not given.
      September 18, 2018 8:52 AM MDT