Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Someone asked "even if Kavanaugh did what was alleged when he was 17 and drunk should that disqualify him to be a SCOTUS Justice for life?

Someone asked "even if Kavanaugh did what was alleged when he was 17 and drunk should that disqualify him to be a SCOTUS Justice for life?

Posted - September 18, 2018

Responses

OK what if someone decided I can't or should not do my job because of something I did when I was 17 and drunk.  And I did some stupid things then.  In spite of the fact I have done my job and for almost 30 years?  Someone must be very prejudiced against someone to go digging back that far! This post was edited by officegirl at September 18, 2018 9:31 AM MDT
      September 18, 2018 8:32 AM MDT

Nope.  We ALL did stupid stuff when they were teens (heck, that's what teens do).  But as we mature, most of us put that stuff behind us and move on.  It's the ones who never learned from those "mistakes" and make them a lifelong habit that you have to watch out for.  

You already know my stance on people who wait 10-50 years before saying anything about an (alleged) "misconduct".
      September 18, 2018 10:00 AM MDT

I believe that most women who have been sexually assaulted stay mum. Why? Well how about how people react when they do? Dr. Ford is being vilified/crucified. Apparently she buried it for years and it came out in therapy sessions with her husband there. She provided copies of notes from those therapy sessions apparently to the powers that be to prove her credibility. Had I been in her position I doubt I'd have likely said anything. WHY? Because when I was 10 a family "friend" from  Detroit came out to visit my folks and stayed with us. He put his fingers where they didn't belong. I said "I don't like that" and he stopped. I never said a word to my mom or dad. I knew it was wrong and a disgusting thing and I kept silent. Why? Because I didn't want to cause trouble or worry them. So I was ten. I'm 80 now. I'm telling you about it NOW. Do you believe me or do you think I just made this up to seem to be a victim ? Whatever.  If they talk they get in trouble. If they don't do it sooner and do it later folks attack them for waiting. They ruin their lives to get the truth out and they are vilified. Thank you for your reply Shuhak. You want I should put that behind me and move on? His name was Joe and he had wife and a kid. We visited  Detroit later and saw him and his wife and kid and even then I never said a word about it . I hated him. I still  do. You want I should put that behind me though and move on, right. Sorry to disappoint you but I can't. :(
      September 18, 2018 10:37 AM MDT

I haven't heard her being vilified ... but I haven't really been paying attention to it, other than what is on NPR.  And they haven't done much other than reporting she came forward and he is denying it happened.

I was curious why she was bringing it up after so long.

If it came up in "therapy sessions", I am leary of it.
    There have been too many "repressed memories" of assault that came out in therapy, that were proven to have never happened.  
    EG: The "memories" were "planted" by the therapist or true memories "warped".
    So no, therapy notes don't totally convince me.

Since it allegedly happened at a party, a true "memory recovery" should be able to name everyone at the party - and those people can be interviewed. 

She also said there was at least one other person in the room, so she should name that person as well.
      September 18, 2018 10:57 AM MDT

She did. His name is Mark Judge. He wrote  a memoir about his days as a teenage drunk who often passed out and blanked out and blacked out. Not a very good  character witness for Kav. Mark said he doesn't recall it AND he never saw Kav behave that way. Well if he were drunk as a skunk or passed out how would he KNOW what Kav did? He wouldn't. Also that good old boy network sticking together no matter what is always in operation. Because women are second-class citizens as we all know and are not to be believed when they accuse  man of anything negative. As for why she waited so long?  I was molested when I was ten. I never said anything about it to anyone until yesterday here on Answermug to someone who, just like you, wondered why she never came forward. I'm 80. It happened when I was ten. I won't ever forget it. The Answermug person said people should put things behind them and move forward. What a crock! Easier said than done. Some things you never put behind you. The death of your child. Being molested or attacked or abused. That's what women have to endure Walt.  Unless it has happened to you there is no way you could possibly have a clue as to how damaging it is. SIGH. Dr. Ford chose to come forward and now after threats including death threats to her and her family she and her family moved away from their home and are in hiding. This is what she gets. I would say that is a big price to pay for being honest. But that's life. The super don snipers are out there waiting to go into action and take anyone out who dares malign him. That includes anyone who harms anyone super don supports. Like this hand-picked rigid judge whom everyone knows will vote to overturn Roe vs Wade and also believes a sitting president should not be charged with any crimes civil or federal while in office. Why? Because those worries distract from doing his presidently duty. Another crock. Super don spends hours daily watching cable TV and weeting. That is big business and he has to have time to do that. It is critical to national security apparently. The fact that he wants to declassify classified information for his own purpose even when it will jeopardize the safety of human assets and give the enemy an insight into how things work doesn't matter. But I digress and ramble.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! This post was edited by RosieG at September 19, 2018 2:10 AM MDT
      September 19, 2018 2:01 AM MDT

Put it behind you - heavens no!! (I know all too well how things that happen when one is young can scar that person for life)  Was it wrong?  Definitely!  Did/do you have the right to say something, demand justice?  Of course! 

Now, say the exact thing happened to someone else.  And, at the time, they too didn't say anything (for whatever reason).  Should they, some XX years later, destroy the man for what he did as a boy?  Should they destroy his career?  His marriage?  His life?  After all, it's their "right" to do so, as he is definitely guilty.  Would it change what happened?  Would retribution stop others from doing the same thing?  Would seeing someone else's life be destroyed bring satisfaction? 

I' am by no means, condoning or excusing such actions.  Nor am I saying that the offender should get away "scot free" for their actions.  I'm simply saying that we are ALL guilty of indiscretions against others (knowingly or unknowingly) - especially when we were young (the key word being young, as in a child or teenager).  If everyone had to be 100% pure in their youth to get anywhere in life (have a spouse, a good job, etc.), no one would.  Again,  I'm not saying that they don't have the right to or shouldn't speak up (bottling it up can be bad).  However, if their speaking up  siome XX years later is only meant to hurt/destroy the other person, then perhaps they're not seeking justice, but merely acting out of spite.

(I hope I'm not coming off as dismissive or macho about this, as it's very serious and I do NOT want to be offensive or callus.  If I do, please forgive me as it is not my intention.)
      September 18, 2018 11:38 AM MDT

Should the incident disqualify him?  No.

On the other hand, if he is lying about it - then, Yes.  

It should also be investigated.  If it happened, it should start a deeper investigation to see if it was a 1-time incident due to stupidity, or part of a continuing pattern.
      September 18, 2018 11:00 AM MDT