Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » How long, do you think, can you endure a long-distance relationship?

How long, do you think, can you endure a long-distance relationship?

I've been in one for two years, and it's likely to remain that way as neither of us is willing to move to the other's, both for genuine, valid reasons. The strain is becoming quite palpable, and I'm not sure how long we can keep this going.

Posted - August 19, 2016

Responses

That is because you want more than this can handle. 

It is not going to change unless one of you ends it.  If it becomes unbearable, then one of you is going to make a move.  But, I will bet that a big reason that you don't is because you don't trust this to work.  Find someone closer by. 

August 19, 2016 10:35 PM MDT

It really depends on the nature of the relationship. I have been in relationships like that seemingly forever. If there's no future, though, and never any hope for one, then it's best to part ways or at least have that discussion so you're both on the same page. You can remain affectionate, but it's best for you both to find something that can be real. The possibility of an actual future is what holds these things together.
      August 19, 2016 10:48 PM MDT

The longest one I've ever maintained was two years, but that was with the understanding that we were both moving in together.  Open ended LDR's typically don't last more than six months.  If you've gotten two years out of yours, you're doing DAMNED well!  Failure to compromise (mutually) is not a good sign, though.

I'm gonna go with the consensus here.  It's time to move on.

August 20, 2016 1:48 AM MDT

Why do you want to keep it going unless you see that there will be an end to the distance between you?  Don't settle for that.  If you can settle for that, it's just a friendship..............not to belittle friendship at all!  Just saying that a true loving, caring romantic relationship necessarily includes sharing and closeness.   

August 20, 2016 2:11 AM MDT

• Thank you, Sharonna

August 20, 2016 3:34 AM MDT

• Thank you, JA, that'svery sound ad

August 20, 2016 3:39 AM MDT

• Thank you, Nimitz, that's sound advice. I think things are probably moving in that direction. We used to meet every week, but now it's become every three or even weeks. I was looking forward to his coming over today, but he's telephoned he won't be able to. Waters seem quite murky. 

August 20, 2016 3:40 AM MDT

• I thought we had a good thing going, but it doesn't seem that way now. Thank you for your advice. It's perhaps best to break it, and the sooner it's done, probably the better.

August 20, 2016 3:45 AM MDT

•   August 20, 2016 3:45 AM MDT

Not always Princess.

August 20, 2016 4:26 AM MDT

August 20, 2016 1:32 PM MDT

"You can remain affectionate, but it's best for you both to find something that can be real."

I think you can still love someone you'll never meet and accept that you'll never meet, but you cannot wait for them. You can't, for the sake of your mental health, remain faithful to someone you'll never be with. It's possible to establish boundaries so that you stay on the up-and-up with your partner and with the other person, but it requires open and honest communication. It's about accepting what you have, not pining for what you can't have. 

August 20, 2016 2:26 PM MDT

I couldn't.

August 20, 2016 5:32 PM MDT

I probably could not endure one long at all, judging from experience. You're just missing the connection there and without that I think it makes things a lot more difficult. 

August 20, 2016 6:19 PM MDT

• , Sodapop

August 21, 2016 6:17 AM MDT

•   August 21, 2016 6:17 AM MDT