Discussion » Questions » Business » Why do some business owners treat their customers like crap? Don't they want their business to grow and prosper?

Why do some business owners treat their customers like crap? Don't they want their business to grow and prosper?

I am seeing a big decline in customer service here lately, and it irritates the heck out of me. Some business owners treat their customers like an inconvenient intrusion instead of welcoming them and realizing they are what make their business grow. Isn't the point of owning a business to get it to grow and be successfully profitable? I'm seeing everything from surly cashiers to arrogant managers and owners. Running customers away is NOT a good business plan.   

Posted - June 28, 2016

Responses

I see that more with large corporations.  Especially when you are not dealing with them in person.  Most have company policies that do not allow those dealing directly with the public the autonomy to handle a customer complaint or issue without getting approval from higher up the ladder, even when you are dealing with someone locally.  I've found Kroger to be an exception.

I deal mostly with small, locally-owned businesses, as they live in the community and have much more incentive to provide good customer service.

June 28, 2016 5:13 AM MDT

Hi Karen, I think the saying, "S--t rolls down hill" might apply. The Gov. treats small businesses terribly and the end user, the customer, gets the lump of it on their doorstep.

June 28, 2016 6:52 AM MDT

I think a lot of times, especially a large company who seems to have a lock on a particular service, does that because they have little competition. Time Warner Cable and Comcast come to mind.
      June 28, 2016 7:26 AM MDT

Kroger is about 40% employee owned.  It makes a difference. 

June 28, 2016 9:46 PM MDT

I don't think it could get any worse than Comcast. 

June 28, 2016 9:47 PM MDT

I wasn't aware of that, thank you.  Kroger is currently the only place I regularly shop that isn't strictly local.  I am very satisfied with their customer service.

June 28, 2016 10:39 PM MDT

Our daughter and her partner both are running a small business.  My daughter has been in her field for over 12 years and was tired  of seeing certain things with management, so she opened up her own business a year ago.

She works doing fire and flood restoration, so she has to be very reliable, polite and concerned for their customers. A major part of her job is to make her customers happy, which she has achieved. It has taken her and her business partner many extra hours to do their job professionally and they have done so. Her business is getting more customers by word of mouth and by the professionalism of both of these young women.

I don't understand any way a business would thrive if not for taking care of business the right way. 

July 2, 2016 6:33 PM MDT