Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » An economy talking head said "recession is inevitable". Why? Is it an historical ebb and flow that is inescapable?

An economy talking head said "recession is inevitable". Why? Is it an historical ebb and flow that is inescapable?

Posted - December 10, 2018

Responses

All I know is we can't always expect things to go our way. 
      December 10, 2018 8:03 AM MST

Simply because they have happened historically.

However, that only means they are probably ... NOT "inevitable".

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/032015/are-economic-recessions-inevitable.asp
      December 10, 2018 12:57 PM MST

Thank you for your reply and the link Walt. So these guys portend trends then but nothing is set in stone? Do YOU think we're heading for a recession currently? The upsy downsy stockmarket doesn't seem very stable of late. Where/when do YOU think it will begin to settle at some level? Happy Tuesday! :)
      December 11, 2018 1:53 AM MST

I think cycles are inevitable, due to human nature.
    We create artificial "bubbles" ... which have to eventually "burst".  
    At the same time, we try to artificially control economic growth.
      December 11, 2018 7:00 AM MST

I read that housing costs in southern California are way bloated costing far more than they're worth and so they expect that bubble to burst. Have you heard anything about housing Walt? If they are all balloons(housing,economy, et al) there will be a point at which there is too much air and it will blow. Wonder when? Thank you for your reply!  :)
      December 11, 2018 7:30 AM MST

When I want to understand economics, I try and read someone like David C Cay or someone that knows how that whole thing works.  I am not a spokesperson for economics.  I stink at that stuff.

December 11, 2018 7:02 AM MST