Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » When a question involves "EITHER OR" and one answers "I choose both" how is that an answer to the question asked?

When a question involves "EITHER OR" and one answers "I choose both" how is that an answer to the question asked?

Posted - December 21, 2018

Responses

I think that's just some peoples way of being witty/funny, or both choices are appealing and they can't decide.
      December 21, 2018 8:16 AM MST

Perhaps glenho. That could well be. Witty/funny is not the same thing to all people. One person's witty/funny is another person's smarta** smartaleck snarky sarcastic. It happens! Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      December 21, 2018 8:30 AM MST

• I tend to be indecisive at times.   Sometimes I am just stubborn and don't want to choose one over the other.
      December 21, 2018 8:18 AM MST

I am very decisive all the time lavender. Folks who equivocate and can't make up their minds drive me bonkers! Sigh. If I make the wrong decision so what? I learn from it and don't do it again. Time is money. Hemming and hawing and this and thatting and fence-sitting is not my cuppa tea. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thee. How long does it take you to decide what you are going to order at a restaurant? A real long time or do you kinda know right away what you are hungry for and go for that? :)
      December 21, 2018 8:28 AM MST

• I am not always indecisive, so I should not have said that I "Tend" to be that way.   I am that way sometimes, but it depends on my mood, the circumstance, my insomnia, etc...    At restaurants, I typically know what I am going to order before I get there. I always look for the online menu lol   
    Happy Friday to you as well! 
      December 21, 2018 8:42 AM MST

I rarely fence sit lavender. I always say "if you want something done right give it Jim. If you want it done fast give it to me". Now of course that generally means what you get from him won't have to be redone. What you get from me may have to be. But it's just how I am wired. I don't agonize over things. I think things through and hopefully grasp the entirety and then one path seems most reasonable logical sensible to me and I take it. If I was wrong so what? Everything you do you can learn from if you pay attention. Thank you for your reply lavender. Fast isn't always best. But it's almost always me! AARRGGHH! :( This post was edited by RosieG at December 21, 2018 9:06 AM MST
      December 21, 2018 8:47 AM MST

It depends on the wording of the question.

"Do you want hamburger or pizza for dinner?"  Can be answered with "Yes" or "No".
    "Yes" {I want one of those}
    "No" {I don't want either of those}

As opposed to: "Which do you want for dinner, hamburger or pizza?"

My dad was famous for answering the first question with a "Yes" or "No" answer.
    It was either funny or annoying, depending on if you were asking the question or not.
      December 21, 2018 8:40 AM MST

I dunno Walt. I don't think the wording is the problem here. It's the person answering it. Does he/she want to appear to be "clever" or does the person just want to answer the dam* question? When someone answers YES to either/or I know I am with a  smarta**. Not my favorite thing. If I am told in advance I can only answer yes or no and the person asking gives me a compound question I figger he/she is a smarta** . If the question is "do I want X or Y" then I can answer I want Y. It does not depend upon the question asker at all. It depends completely on the nature of the answerer. Smarta** or serious answerer? Which are you? Ball is always in your court ya know. Once the question is asked it no longer belongs to the askerer. I see ZERO difference in the two questions posed. Zilch. Nada. Zip. So if you see a difference then we are not on the page on this one. Each grouping gives a choice and seeks a reply of one or the other. In my opinion. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday to thy!  :)
      December 21, 2018 11:24 AM MST

I'm sometimes asked a question along the lines of the dinner example.
    If I don't want either, I say "No".
    Maybe I want fish.  Or tacos.  Or steak.  But I want something other than the choices given.

Or maybe I say "Yes", because I want a hamburger pizza.  
         (which could be either a hamburger the size of a pizza, or a pizza with hamburger toppings)

Aaaannnd, now I'm hungry.

December 21, 2018 11:39 AM MST

Because sometimes the answer is BOTH.

That's why.

There is not black or white. There are shades of nuance.  And many things that are offered in your questions are not black or white.

I like function and design. I like BOTH.   That is NOT an either or.  Something with only function looks like the prison camps in Nazi Germany.

Beauty requires system and planning with many things besides just basics.  Sometimes function is the design.  But it is still instilled with form and grace to make it workable and livable in a society that craves beauty.

December 21, 2018 8:57 AM MST