Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What metal(s) is/are the best conductors of electricity? Can a solid 24-K gold wall be electrified?

What metal(s) is/are the best conductors of electricity? Can a solid 24-K gold wall be electrified?

Posted - December 23, 2018

Responses

What a strange question, Rosie!

I've racked my brains but can't seen any obscure references in it, so I'll answer it straight....

Most metals are good conductors of electricity, some better than others. Gold is very good, and it is plated onto the fine contacts used in electronics because its combination of low electrical resistance and high chemical resistance (to oxidation) greatly increases the connector's reliability.

That gold is recovered, incidentally, from scrap electronic equipment, along with other salvageable metals in the components. 

So yes, a solid gold wall could be electrified... but as well as being a good conductor of electricity it would also be an even better conductor of money from your bank account!

December 23, 2018 3:24 PM MST

Well ya know the US self-described "stable" boy is obscenely wealthy and he loves gold. So I figger a 24K SOLID GOLD WALL would be a fitting reminder forever more of his grand and glorious vulgar corrupt evil reign. I don't know what it would cost but what does that matter? He could order it built and just charge it right? As for strange I just ask the questions that occur to me Durdle and yes many of them are strange indeed if by strange you mean no one else in your recollection ever asked them. That's how I'm wired and how I roll!  Thank you for your helpful reply m'dear and Happy Monday!
      December 24, 2018 4:09 AM MST

(Answering in reverse order---because text typed after a link is automatically underlined.)

Yes, but it would be rather dangerous:

An electrified fence or other barrier has been connected to a supply of electricity (It would always remain ready to provide electrons, i.e.,  electricity, so that a person that touches it will get an electric shock.)

In an 120 volt house circuit, the black wire is "hot" the white wire is the "neutral," and the green wire is the "ground." Plug a "load" into the circuit and current flows properly.  Unfortunately, if you were to touch the wall, you may inadvertently become the "load" and current may flow through you to the surface you are standing on.   

Yes, however, such wires would be relatively fragile and certainly very expensive. In addition, the conductivity of gold is poorer than that of copper and silver. (From many standpoints, silver plated copper is a very good choice for electrical wire.)

However, pure gold is used in specialized applications, for example, the very-fine wires within integrated circuit packages that connect the “die” to the package “leadframe.” (A lead frame is a thin layer of metal frame to which semiconductors are attached during the package assembly process. Quality of the lead frame is of essential importance: any tiny defect seriously endangers the performance and reliability of the result IC device.)

Gold alloys are also sometimes used as a plating on electrical contacts because they are relatively immune to chemical changes from environmental factors, therefore maintaining conductivity in harsh environments. However, in these applications, the plating methodology is very specific, often requiring an underlay of “barrier” metals of particular thicknesses, since gold will otherwise combine with base metals such as copper and eventually degrade the performance of the contact.

https://www.quora.com/Can-pure-gold-be-used-for-making-electrical-wires

December 23, 2018 3:55 PM MST

Thank you for a very thoughtful, thorough and informative reply tom and the link. I appreciate it. Well electrifying the wall would certainly keep folks from trying to climb over it. And gold is what evil corrupt greedy people covet most of all and I do believe our very own "stable" boy fits that description. What better legacy could there be from the reign of the great insane stable boy or that grand  than an electrified THICK AND VERY HIGH 24K solid gold wall? It might also blind folks if the sun hit it just right and while that would not thrill the stable boy as much as seeing the immigrants drop dead in their tracks it would give a certain measure of comfort to him. As for cost who the he** cares, right? Just increase the debt by however many trillions it would take. Whatever stable boy wants he gets and who wouldn't want a 24K gold wall? Happy Monday tom!  :)
      December 24, 2018 4:15 AM MST

Best conductor: Silver.
    A gold wall could be electrified, but there is not that much refined gold in the world.
      December 23, 2018 4:02 PM MST

Oh there isn't Ele? Well we could use ALL the gold there is and then fill in what is lacking with silver. I mean stable boy is a gold guy don'tcha know. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thy! :)
      December 24, 2018 4:16 AM MST

Thank you Rosie, for explaining it!

I wondered if there might just possibly be some political theme in it, given that most of your "Corner" now just rants about your President, but I couldn't see it.

I know this matter of a wall along the Mexican border is very contentious in the USA but it was the thing about gold that threw me.

Perhaps your gold wall ought be round the White House instead, to keep His Nibs where you've more chance of controlling him!  

A recent BBC Radio News report about that wall pointed out something presumably well-known in the USA, but probably not in Britain, that although Mr. Trump is making such a thing about it, parts of a wall or fence have been built during the last few presidencies, so it's not his idea.  
      December 24, 2018 8:43 AM MST