Active Now

Spunky
Slartibartfast
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » Why does Canada import maple syrup?

Why does Canada import maple syrup?

Posted - December 30, 2018

Responses

We have the best Maple Syrup in the world and we trade it for hemp products. 
      December 30, 2018 9:48 PM MST

• Well, I am Canadian but I’m no expert on American/ Canadian  trade deals. I’m guessing we chose to import mayple syrup cos you freakin’ Americans don’t realize the value of a good poutine. I think we should import poutine instead. That’s all I got  to contribute to Canadian  politics..or any politics for that matter:) 
      December 30, 2018 11:28 PM MST

Poutine with Maple Syrup.......  Please this has to be a joke. I have never once seen Poutine made with Maple Syrup.  Note, I have eaten a lot of poutine over the years, even a Quebecois would not call such a concoction Poutine. As far as Canada importing Maple Syrup, again please ..............
      December 31, 2018 6:11 AM MST

I can't speak to the poutine, but Canada does import syrup from the US. I was looking at the tariffs and one that Canada instituted against the US in retaliation was syrup. I initially thought it was a mistake- perhaps I misunderstood and Canada had decided to charge us a premium for their syrup instead. That would actually hurt. But, no, we are sending them our syrup. 
      December 31, 2018 1:10 PM MST

It has to be to control / regulate the global market.
    After all, Canada has a Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve.  They are the OPEC of maple syrup.
    So think along the lines of: Why would Iraq import oil from America?  Answer: to control the amount of oil on the world market.
      December 31, 2018 1:13 PM MST

i didnt knew that... where i live in quebec, we are known for our quality maple syrups....  i didnt knew USA produced maple syrups tho... 

but theres lot of things canada imports from ... usa, and mexico for example... lot of vegetables and fruits that grows perfectly in the usa and mexico, and we imports from there.
      December 31, 2018 6:22 PM MST