Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » How do you like your computer now?

How do you like your computer now?

Posted - December 31, 2018

Responses

• its a touch screen so this splatter is a bit of a problem
      December 31, 2018 8:36 PM MST

I've had this one since 2012 so we are just about used to each other.  :)
      December 31, 2018 11:34 PM MST

I like my computer. It does all I want from it. It's a DELL "Vostro" about 3 or 4 years old, and had WIN 8 on it when on sale, but the dealer kindly re-rated it to WIN 7 Pro. It's also my broadband machine. I bought it from an independent dealer, not one of the supermarket-type chain emporia, as I knew I could obtain better advice that way.

It's linked to a 20"-screen ACER monitor, an HP 1510 A4 scanner/printer, and an HP 7510 allegedly-A3 scanner/printer. By "alleged", I mean it will print on A3 sheets, as I want for the CAD programme I am trying to learn (Oh, it's "trying" all right!), but the scanner bed is some odd size significantly smaller, so cannot scan an A3 document in one go. If I had known that when I bought it I would have searched for something better.

A year after buying it, I fell for MS wanting me to "up-grade" (actually, up-date but down-grade) it to WIN 10 for free - it was a disaster, forcing me to revert it 7 and spend hours repairing such damage as deleted web-site registrations.

I've also an older computer, an HP summat-or-other I think without I go and look, loaded with XP and the MS Office suite current at the time. That, with its own screen, keyboard & mouse, is off-line, is older media and files, and for its Excel version that was its peak before Mickeysoft started to strip it down - though even at best 'Excel' contained strange but inexcusable faults. I believe XP was MS' zenith too, and since then its quality has nose-dived, with WIN-10's puerile, scrappy presentation replacing functional, efficient displays, and formerly-comprehensive applications replaced by low-quality versions.

It had actually been my work computer, and when my employer replaced them pretty well throughout the place, we could buy our "own" for a small sum to charity, though without the hard-drive. £10 for the PC, about £30 or £40 for the new hard-drive; I already had the legal software copies and the peripherals. Bargain!
      January 3, 2019 3:21 PM MST