Active Now

my2cents
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What is the worst thing you've ever done out of politeness?

What is the worst thing you've ever done out of politeness?

Posted - January 29, 2019

Responses

Being polite is taking the consideration of other's feelings over your own.

If you are doing things out of politeness and not concern for your own welfare and how you look?  It is not the worst choice you can make.
      January 29, 2019 9:29 AM MST

• I understand the definition of politeness but actions even under the best of intentions will vary in the pleasantness of carrying them out.  Same goes with the result of a polite action.  
      January 29, 2019 9:45 AM MST

You are so very right.  A lot of time on here it is hard to form a well-thought-out dissertation on a subject as lofty as politeness and when it is necessary and when it is just a placation.

I see you are a person of thought, I will try and be more explicit.  There are a million instances of what you are describing.  But it gets kinds of technical.   It has to do with intent.  Am I just being polite?  Or am I showing integrity in some way?

And then, what?  I mean is it important unless there is a specific example and not a generalization?
      January 29, 2019 9:49 AM MST

•  You're giving me way too much credit. I really just wanted to see if someone did something like eat under-cooked  Hamburger Helper that their loved one that doesn't know how to cook prepared for them. 
      January 29, 2019 9:52 AM MST

Again.  Intent.  LOL
      January 29, 2019 9:53 AM MST

By being smarmy polite to a man I despised, he got quite confused, expecting something just the opposite. He's an idiot.
      January 29, 2019 9:49 AM MST

• Grin and bear...people do make it hard sometimes. 
      January 29, 2019 9:53 AM MST

When the fox gnaws...smile. Robert Heinlein.
      January 29, 2019 9:54 AM MST

What did he do to make you despise him?  I want to despise him too.  Did he vote Republican?
      January 29, 2019 9:54 AM MST

He was a school vice-principal. He disliked everyone and everyone him. He was bitter, because sometime in his pathetic career, he screwed up and knew he would never advance. So he took it out on others. I could go on, but I might burst a blood vessel.
      January 29, 2019 9:58 AM MST

I got you.  Someone needed to do something and no one did.  The formula?  Someone needed to find that coal heart of his and reach out to him.  That would have taken patience.  No one wants to go there.  So, we have this embittered old troll, who probably voted for Trump out of spite, walking around doing hurtful things in the name of his ego.  See how we all contribute?   We need to be vigilant always and show warmth in the face of hard looking old prcks.  Im in philosophical mode here.  Sorry.  

I have to do this on a daily basis.  I have people pass my doorway and enter who are all full of evil intentions because their minds are not right.  I have learned a lot from these beasts.   So, I massage them and hope for the best.  Many melt and many do not melt no matter what.  Oh well.  You can't please them all. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 29, 2019 10:04 AM MST
      January 29, 2019 10:02 AM MST

I agree with Sharon. Politeness is nothing but trying to get along and work together and mutual respect.  If you are going to be together you might as well get on.  So its just you think of now you can best do that and what they are comfortable with rather than just what you want to do. 
      January 29, 2019 9:56 AM MST

• Ummmm, when have you ever known me to be polite. 
      January 29, 2019 10:19 AM MST

• You know I was really considering a disclaimer JUST for you  ;)
      January 29, 2019 1:40 PM MST

• Next time i want a special disclaimer please...short bus stuff. 
      January 29, 2019 3:06 PM MST

• "This post does not apply to anyone left behind in a dumpster"
      January 29, 2019 3:10 PM MST

• That’s what I thought. 
      January 29, 2019 3:12 PM MST