Active Now

Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » FACT. I like broccoli more than I like yams. OPINION. I think broccoli tastes better. Get the difference?

FACT. I like broccoli more than I like yams. OPINION. I think broccoli tastes better. Get the difference?

FACT and OPINION are not the same nor are TRUTH and LIES. Get it?

Posted - February 8, 2019

Responses

Actually ... it's a fact if you phrase it as "I think broccoli tastes better".
    It would be an opinion if phrased as "Broccoli tastes better".
      February 8, 2019 9:42 AM MST

Not so at all Walt. How I stated it is PRECISELY what I meant. Maybe for you what you think is fact. I think FACT is something that is universally true FOR EVERYONE..not just me. It is my opinion that broccoli tastes better than yams. If you share that opinion that doesn't make it fact for everyone. It simply means that we agree. That's all it means. See the difference? Thank you for your reply.
      February 8, 2019 11:01 AM MST

But it's a fact that you think that.  It is universally true for everyone.  If they could read your mind, they would see that you think broccoli is better.

Yes, that is your opinion.  But it is a fact, that it is your opinion. 

February 8, 2019 11:21 AM MST

Yes- I understand the difference; but really both are facts in so far as the second also tells us you have a particular taste in vegetables.

The second would have been pure opinion if you had not started with "I think"; but that clause does stress that you are going to express the opinion.

To be honest they both say the same thing with little difference in clarity, and no-one would dispute either as fact, that you hold that opinion on the two vegetables.

If you'd omitted "I think", it would be for the reader to determine if broccoli really does taste better than yams, or if it does only to you. I.e., to determine if the bald statement "Broccoli tastes better," is fact or opinion.

Obviously with something as simple as comparing foods, we would all know it's just your opinion; but I realise you may be highlighting the dangers of dressing opinions to resemble facts, in much more serious and difficult issues like politics and social problems.  
      February 8, 2019 3:25 PM MST