Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Does EpiPen Company put profits before people, when it increases its cost from $57 to $500?

Does EpiPen Company put profits before people, when it increases its cost from $57 to $500?

An EpiPen is an allergy medicine that looks like a pen, used for emergencies. The poorer people with severe allergies cannot afford this cost. Are you outraged? (epinephrine)

Posted - August 26, 2016

Responses

• Yes.

Not really.

Seems like there might be some alternatives?

http://time.com/money/4468716/cheaper-epipen-alternatives-price/

August 26, 2016 1:45 PM MDT

• It's ridiculous and unconscionable.  Epinephrine is a cheap to produce and old drug.  It's really just adrenaline.

It seems to be a trend with these life saving auto inject pens.  The pharmacy companies did the same thing with insulin once auto inject pens became the norm.  It was once one of the cheapest drugs one could be on but now insulin is insanely high cost medicine.

There is no moral  justification imaginable for the price increase.

August 26, 2016 3:33 PM MDT

It sure does.  I think that is terrible.

August 27, 2016 5:12 PM MDT

It is another case of the gov stepping in and regulating thereby messing things up.

Under the FDA regulations the Dr cannot simply check the substitions allowed box. Basically giving them a gov enforce monopoly.  There are other cheaper options availble.

August 31, 2016 1:52 PM MDT

Protecting patients and making care more affordable since 2010. Way to go!

August 31, 2016 2:30 PM MDT

• That's insane!!!  Is that true???

September 3, 2016 3:08 PM MDT

My son relies on it for a peanut allergy.  I cannot imagine if he had no insurance.  

I think it's unconscionable to make that sort of profit.  Like it has been pointed out, this is an old drug and it's a cheap one.   

September 3, 2016 3:11 PM MDT

September 3, 2016 3:24 PM MDT