Active Now

my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Why are people so OFFENDED by Amos n Andy? I don't get it. They were hilarious. And it was a great depiction of life back then.

Why are people so OFFENDED by Amos n Andy? I don't get it. They were hilarious. And it was a great depiction of life back then.

Posted - April 5, 2019

Responses

• It comes off as "coonery" and a caricature to people now.  
      April 5, 2019 10:22 AM MDT

Sigh.  SO WHAT?  (not you, the mentality)

This is a slice of actual history and when viewed with a non-jaundiced eye, it shows exactly how smart and savvy the black folks were back when they were oppressed and defiled in this country.

THIS IS funny and if blacks were cool about it, they would see this.  There is nothing in there denigrating blacks, more like showing how black peole were AMAZING and survivors.  
      April 5, 2019 10:27 AM MDT

• I don't disagree with that.  Though we might see it through different lenses than other generations. Even though me and you aren't close to being in the same one.  Just Sayin',  they don't have that experience and only seen that kin of portrayal being used as a white approved caricature .

Its just like how I didn't see the black face bugs bunny cartoons as racist or even realize that the little piccaninny with a bone in its hair was supposed to be portraying black.people.  I did later on when I learned the context. At the time though I just thought it was silly for the sake of silly.
      April 5, 2019 11:27 AM MDT

Yes.  They are so lurid now that I don't even dare post them.  I mean, I can get the Southern spin that those Civil War creeps that they worship as statues need not come down because they are HISTORY. But, when you view why they want the things through their racist moron eyes?  I want them gone too.

So, I guess in this way Amos 'n Andy could be considered offensive, but I think people are just becoming too thin-skinned and that opens up an entire new can of worms.

Every one is going too far now.  I mean really?  We are condemning JOE BIDEN?  LOL

Now he is a predator?  LOL GET SERIOUS.  HE IS OLD and goofy.  He is NOT TRUMP.  He does not grab the "kitty cat" or kiss women who he wants to screw without their consent.

So, we have this new set of CORRECT rules that I don't know if I can abide.  Censoring and Banning are hot topics these days.
      April 5, 2019 11:35 AM MDT

• I totally agree.   Consider though it may just be a pendulum effect.  We'll see.  Worth mentioning too is some of the younger people aren't used to the premillenium sitcom formats and in general don't quite get the format's humor.  They are more used to series long narratives and each episode being tied to the previous ones.  Not each episode having its own somewhat independent plot and renegotiation being resolved at the end of each episode and the next having nothing to relating to it. Sitcoms used to be mostly over the top  caricatures,  they are more about believable characters these days. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 5, 2019 12:23 PM MDT
      April 5, 2019 12:23 PM MDT

Times change and so do our standards of humor.  What's called funny one day can be considered offensive the next.  Take for example the movie "Blazing Saddles" (1974).   It was considered a very funny and entertaining movie at its time, but now it's considered to be extremely offensive (although still funny).
      April 5, 2019 11:19 AM MDT

I saw it last week. They bleeped the N word. At least they didn't change the fart scene.
      April 5, 2019 11:31 AM MDT

Ha ha. I saw your answer on the queue and thought you were talking about Amos n Andy.  That would have been RAD as hell.  LOL 
      April 5, 2019 11:39 AM MDT

The fact that they have to bleep out that word is because some find it to be offensive. 
    You can't mess with funny - "How about some more beans, Mr. Taggart?"
    BTW - this is one of my favorite movies; this and 'Airplane!'
      April 5, 2019 1:21 PM MDT

• Who really considers Blazzing Saddles offensive? It crass.
      April 5, 2019 12:13 PM MDT

It's use of the "n" word as well as the racist names it uses for other nationalities is why it's considered offensive. 
      April 5, 2019 1:13 PM MDT

I thought crass WAS offensive, no?

Common, boorish, ignorant .... This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 5, 2019 7:53 PM MDT
      April 5, 2019 1:14 PM MDT

• Crass usually has a slightly different context though.  More like base or bad/ taste. Low class.

Similar but nuanced differences.
      April 5, 2019 3:08 PM MDT

• Never heard that.  Heard quite the opposite many times.  You sure you just don't mean in the way sex and  cursing is considered "offensive " for television?  IDK,  if Balzzing Saddles is racist, so is Django Unchained. 
      April 5, 2019 3:05 PM MDT

I don't consider it offensive, just dumb city kid humor.  I never really liked it, never understand why all the city kids liked it.  Grow up on a working ranch or in an Ag Community and you would have a similar view.
      April 5, 2019 12:47 PM MDT

I've lived in an ag community all my life (western).  The humor works here as well as in a city.  Granted, teh movie isn't everyone's "cup of tea".
      April 5, 2019 1:27 PM MDT

Shuhak, the whole message of that movie was to point out prejudice and make it RIDICULOUS.  The people who were racist looked like total morons.  EXACTLY.
      April 5, 2019 11:38 AM MDT

Seems you are referring to the TV show which I never saw because it was before I was born.  Started in the late 1920s as a radio show and became very popular and was one of the earliest successful transcribed shows.  White men played the parts but they based the characters on humorous black types.  Was a very big hit and was on for many years. I once saw on History Detectives where they were object to how "racist" it was and they came across all these newspaper articles about how black communities embraced it and loved it and even formally honored its two white actors.  Because it was their type of humor.

Many people don't want to have anything to do with the past because they think it drags them down.  Have never seen those shows either radio or TV so I don't have any opinion one way of the other. 
      April 5, 2019 7:53 PM MDT