Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Too busy to file taxes yet. What do I do now? I owe little and I have no money to speak of so it should be a visit to H&R?

Too busy to file taxes yet. What do I do now? I owe little and I have no money to speak of so it should be a visit to H&R?

Posted - April 17, 2019

Responses

At this point, you are past the deadline.

You can file an extension ... but all that does is give you 6 months to file the paperwork. 
    You still have to pay at the same deadline as everybody else.

You can try to set up a payment plan with the IRS.

Or, if you have a credit card, put the payment on that.
      April 17, 2019 2:11 PM MDT

THANK YOU.  I did this last year, but I did not remember if I had to ask for the extension BEFORE the April 15th deadline.

I should be fine.  Last year I paid noting.  But this year I made a little more.  So, I should be in okay shape.  Thanks for easing my mind a lot.  
      April 17, 2019 2:16 PM MDT

The good news is ... the IRS had budget cuts, so there are even less agents ... so they will probably focus on people with larger incomes, and not people with small filing amounts.
      April 17, 2019 2:22 PM MDT

I filed about 11:40 pm on the 15th. I made more too so have to pay in more. I do not have it. Will have to make payments. And try to pay more in through the year for next year.

You are working as an employee right? So just W2s. Just go on Turbo Tax and fill in the information. It does the rest and it is free.  This post was edited by my2cents at April 17, 2019 9:26 PM MDT
      April 17, 2019 6:22 PM MDT

I never bothered to file until I was almost 30 when it started to concern me. Then I went to a tax office and he said file retroactively for those years making just estimates of earnings and expenses so there would at least be something on file.  As my2cents suggested Turbo Tax would work well. 
      April 17, 2019 7:07 PM MDT

• We have until the end of April to file here. I always make sure to contribute enough into my RRSP do that I don’t have to pay any taxes at tax time.
    I’m not sure if your tax laws are the same,  but I pretty much get back in taxes what I put into my RRSP. I know I’ll have to pay taxes on that money when I retire, but it works out for me now and I’m saving money for old lady cruises when I’m old ;)
      April 17, 2019 7:13 PM MDT

I hope you filed an extension.  Always file something by the deadline, unless you don't have to file a return at all. 
      April 17, 2019 9:24 PM MDT