Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is there an agreed-upon time for afternoon to end and evening to begin worldwide?

Is there an agreed-upon time for afternoon to end and evening to begin worldwide?

Posted - April 18, 2019

Responses

Nope

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afternoon

Seems to me, based on just people I know, that "afternoon" goes from noon to dinner time ... dinner to dark is "evening" 
      April 18, 2019 1:43 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply and the link Walt. I had an ex-mother-in-law who would take her first drink when the "sun was over the yardarm". I have no idea what that means. She'd also say that "it's 5pm somewhere in the world" if she wanted a drink at say 3pm! She was a hoot! :)
      April 19, 2019 6:06 AM MDT

From the Oxford reference:

A traditional nautical saying to indicate that it is time for a morning drink. It was generally assumed in northern latitudes the sun would show above the foreyard of a ship by 1100, which was about the time in many ships of the forenoon ‘stand-easy’, when many officers would slip below for their first drink of the day.
      April 19, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

Afternoon: 12:01pm to 6:00pm
    Evening: 5:00-9:00pm

That is how I use the terms. (Yes I know 5-6 is overlapping but that is how O use them when speaking)  
      April 18, 2019 7:04 PM MDT