Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If you like something a lot you probably also enjoy variations on its theme, different iterations. For me it's FOOD! For thee?

If you like something a lot you probably also enjoy variations on its theme, different iterations. For me it's FOOD! For thee?

Posted - May 21, 2019

Responses

I paint statues. We have 4-5 different colors to paint each item. I get bored if I have to them all the same.
      May 21, 2019 7:02 AM MDT

Just like my sister Carol. You are an artist and possibly even an ARTISTE! What kinds of statues? I think in the long ago on Answerbag we had this conversation and I asked you about unicorns didn't I m2c? You know I go into my kitchen and once I get involved in cooking I'm in my own safe haven and I'm always happy there cooking. I feel protected and relaxed. I expect you must get similar feelings when you are painting. I think everyone needs to have something like that to fall back on. My sister Carol is now into making pottery. She has a friend and attends classes where they do that and have a kiln. She has sent me a few small items and I just treasure them. I bet you and she would hit if off bigly! Thank you for your reply m2c. Do you use regular oil paint as canvas artists do or is the paint for statues something different?
      May 21, 2019 7:45 AM MDT

Yeah, I remember you asking about unicorns. We do outdoor concrete statues. We use exterior latex to paint with. No kiln. Heating concrete like that has the opposite effect. It will make it crumble. 
      May 21, 2019 2:33 PM MDT

I don't know where you live m2c but I gather you have seasons. Do you do your painting in a garage or barn or toolshed? If it rains or snows you don't want the statues getting wet. Do they absorb moisture before you have painted them? Do you have a FAVORITE statue shape? Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 22, 2019 5:10 AM MDT

Yes, we have seasons. Cold winters (ice and snow) and hot summers. Once it is warm enough in March-Oct we paint. We paint under a carport. Keeps it dry and the sun from beating down on me all day.  The rain does get us every now and then.  We cannot paint in winter the paint will not hold. In the winter we work on replacing and making new molds for items.
      May 22, 2019 7:24 AM MDT