Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Death and Dying » Do we even bother mentioning the fact that there was another mass shooting today? Should I bother?

Do we even bother mentioning the fact that there was another mass shooting today? Should I bother?

Posted - August 31, 2019

Responses

I was thinking the same thing. We are getting so numb to this carnage. It's blamed on mental illness, but nothing is done to address that nor is the specific type of mental illness identified. It stigmatizes all mental illnesses, the overwhelming majority of which do not cause the person to kill anyone. There is talk about background checks, but while that may stop some suicides and domestic violence, I'm not sure that it will do anything to prevent mass shootings. It's clear to me that guns that can shoot a whole lot people in a small amount of time should not be available to civilians. It's also clear that allowing politicians to take money from gun lobbyists is not helping us control gun violence.
      September 1, 2019 7:30 AM MDT

I couldn't have said it better myself.  This is becoming an every day occurrence and we no longer seem horrified when it happens.  The NRA has given about $30 million to Trump's campaign, so you can bet that he isn't going to do anything to upset LaPierre.  Campaign finance reform is the only thing that will curb such excess which obligates the donee to fall in line with the donor's platforms.  
      September 1, 2019 11:06 AM MDT