Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Anyone play POOL BILLIARDS "SNOOKER"? Are they the SAME games by different names?

Anyone play POOL BILLIARDS "SNOOKER"? Are they the SAME games by different names?

Posted - September 4, 2019

Responses

I play pool. I think snookers is similar to pool but there are posts in the table. 
      September 4, 2019 6:30 AM MDT

My sis used to compete in Pool tournaments. Had her own cue made especially for her. Decades ago of course. Thank you for your reply m2c and Happy Thursday to thee! :) This post was edited by RosieG at September 5, 2019 4:14 AM MDT
      September 5, 2019 4:13 AM MDT

I am not good enough to compete, we play for fun.
      September 5, 2019 4:15 AM MDT

I don't play billiards or snooker, though I've occasionally played pool, but they are different games.

Pool is an American game derived from billiards (an English invention) and snooker, but played on a small table.

Snooker and billiards use a much larger table,  but it does not have the "posts" My2cents mentions.

Snooker and Pool use full ball sets; Billiards uses only three balls. 

Snooker is played at professional league level, televised and all; but you hear much less about billiards, for some reason.

There is or was a pub game called Bar Billiards, which is related. Once popular in Southern England, it comes from France and Belgian but is of Russian ancestry. Judging by photos of a bar billiards set, its smaller-size table does have "posts", or more accurately small mushroom-shaped wooden pins. I don't know how their purpose, or how the game is played, though.  
      September 6, 2019 3:16 PM MDT