Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » How can I stop Chrome from defaulting to Incognito mode?

How can I stop Chrome from defaulting to Incognito mode?

Windows forcibly did an update yesterday and my computer seemed ok after. However, it rebooted overnight again and now each time I open Chrome, it opens in Incognito mode. I cannot open a regular tab. I've rebooted, uninstalled/ reinstalled Chrome, and checked extensions. 

I can find instructions online to help me totally disable Incognito mode, but #1- that,'s not what I want. I use it sometimes. #2- Since I seem to be unable to launch in regular mode, I think disabling Incognito will make it so I can't use Chrome at all. 

Posted - September 9, 2019

Responses

uhhh…. I am still trying to figure out how to successfully edit the questions on here.  

Sorry.....  AND THANK GOD WE HAVE PEOPLE ON HERE WHO UNDERSTAND THIS STUFF.  THANK GOD.   

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 9, 2019 10:02 PM MDT
      September 9, 2019 12:04 PM MDT

First, locate the shortcut you use to launch Google Chrome—either on your taskbar, desktop, Start menu. Right-click it and select “Properties”.

If you’re using a taskbar shortcut, you’ll have to right-click the Google Chrome shortcut on your taskbar, right-click “Google Chrome” in the menu that appears, and then select “Properties”.

In the "target box", remove "-incognito" from the end of the line. This post was edited by Shuhak at September 9, 2019 9:56 PM MDT
      September 9, 2019 1:36 PM MDT

What language are you speaking?
      September 9, 2019 2:38 PM MDT

English.  What words don't you understand?
      September 9, 2019 2:43 PM MDT

Individual words I understand, but I don't get all of the computer mumbo-jumbo.
      September 9, 2019 2:47 PM MDT

Strange, I ran my answer thru a subspeciation matrix grid so as to make it more comprehensible.  I guess the TCP firewall was down which prevented the redundant COM from inputting comprehensive vernacular.  My bad.

September 9, 2019 3:08 PM MDT

He is going to just smile and offer you a vegemite sandwich next.
      September 9, 2019 3:47 PM MDT

"Properties" is not an option. But, it wasn't the link. Even choosing the option to open an new window from within Chrome was opening an incognito window. I went through and deleted Chrome again, then went through and deleted every remaining Chrome file individually. I think it's ok now. 
      September 9, 2019 4:01 PM MDT

Sorry, I use Linux. 
    Chrome works impeccably on my system

I have not heard of such bumblefudgery before but strange things like this happen all the time in the Windows environment.
    Shuhaks explanation sounds the most plausible, however, it's anyone's guess what and where stuff is buried on Windows.  In an ini file, cache, temp files, registry or something, buried away in some God-forsaken corner of that abominable OS.
    This is one of the many things I can't stand about Windows.
    When you remove a program,  it leaves remnants all over the place like rat sh*t
    Do yourself a big favor, move to Linux and call it a day

. This post was edited by Jon at September 9, 2019 10:09 PM MDT
      September 9, 2019 10:08 PM MDT