Active Now

WelbyQuentin
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Do you think it adds anything to the movie viewing experience for a deaf person when the closed captions say "Dramatic music playing"?

Do you think it adds anything to the movie viewing experience for a deaf person when the closed captions say "Dramatic music playing"?

Or when it just shows musical notes to indicate that music is playing?  I wonder what sort of music they are hearing in their head. 

Posted - September 12, 2019

Responses

WOW.

Good thought. 

You'd have to ask the deaf.  Let's see what they say....I'll see if there is anything about this.

Since I am born profoundly deaf, I feel I am eligible to answer such a question.

By the age of 5 years, I realized the sounds exist, I wore hearing aids at that time. It helps in amplifying sounds in an environment where I am located in, only (but hearing aids doesn't help profoundly deaf on focussing on the clear speech of the speaker ( can’t comprehend speech ) but works very well for those with partial hard of hearing).

Vibration sensations: I still didn't get a feeling that sounds is produced from vibrations. I heard from a friend of mine that sounds are produced from vibrations so realiz...

(more)Loading…

Since I am born profoundly deaf, I feel I am eligible to answer such a question.

By the age of 5 years, I realized the sounds exist, I wore hearing aids at that time. It helps in amplifying sounds in an environment where I am located in, only (but hearing aids doesn't help profoundly deaf on focussing on the clear speech of the speaker ( can’t comprehend speech ) but works very well for those with partial hard of hearing).

Vibration sensations: I still didn't get a feeling that sounds is produced from vibrations. I heard from a friend of mine that sounds are produced from vibrations so realized that concept.
    For instance: Louder drums beat vibrations are easy to sense though I can't hear much louder drum sounds.

I (not only me, probably other Deaf too) invented "sounds theory" logically on own.
    Didn't get still? See below.
    I have been analyzing behaviors which produce sounds from my brain and eyes, even if I can't hear anything, like:
    1. When two objects bang or hit each other, or objects falling from height, I could notice that sounds must be imagined like: Clapping (*Clap, clap,clap*) , banging hammer against the wall(*bang*) etc

2. During the ambulance emergency, one could notice that red/blue light on its top, right. When I notice it, there must be sound there.
    When lighting strikes, I could easily assume that sounds must be formed. (I know from Physics that the sound travel slower than the light :P
    And I quickly noticed sound sensation faster than the sounds travel, funny isn't it?)
     That's, light indication might produce sounds also.

3. While speaking , I touch my throat to feel vibrations so that I can indicate sounds' type.

4. Any visual indications like person shouting , dog barking, a man playing a flute , which eventually let me know that sounds must be produced.

5.I could understand what person says while facing towards me even if I don't wear hearing aids (completely no sounds) through lip reading.

There's one thing missing in sound theory, that's "location of sounds" even if there is no any visual indications infront or around of me , like bird chipping loudly (which is deep in tree or unable to notice it). Even hearing aids couldn't help such thing.

It's just a way that I lived with like that I could imagine sounds, though I can't hear any sounds.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 12, 2019 8:48 AM MDT
      September 12, 2019 8:40 AM MDT

• I imagine if anything it's just an indication that the scene they are watching isn't totally silent.  I've seen captions before that will go as far as "trees blowing in the wind" or "waves crashing". 
      September 12, 2019 8:45 AM MDT

Yes. I just posted something from a deaf woman.  

I have to clean it up.  It's all over the page.  
      September 12, 2019 8:46 AM MDT

• It is mostly for informational purposes only.  It allows them to know what is taking place during what appears to be extended periods of dialogue silence else they might wonder if they missed something or that possibly the closed captioning was glitching.
      September 12, 2019 8:47 AM MDT

• That was my guess. The attempt to paint as detailed a picture as possible since sight is all they have to go on.
      September 12, 2019 8:53 AM MDT

What about when closed captions say "sex sounds"? (yes, it does say that)
      September 12, 2019 8:48 AM MDT

• Haha, "repeated erotic grunts and post thrust smacks"
      September 12, 2019 8:50 AM MDT

• One must also remember that many deaf people do enjoy music on a different level.  They may not "hear" it but they do "feel" it.  This is how they can manage to sing along or perform sign language to music by feeling and keeping the beat.  A friend of mine who is deaf used to place her hand on the dash board of the car and feel the music pumping and would groove along with it just like any of us would.
      September 12, 2019 8:49 AM MDT

Simon Cowell, producer of Americas Got Talent and others, had a contestant on that got a GOLDEN TICKET on the show.  That is not given lightly.  She was profoundly deaf due to a disease.  And was for years.  Yet, she did exactly what you described your friend doing.  But she was someone who had hearing prior.  

I cannot imagine how someone deaf since birth can do this.  We cannot imagine what we have not experienced.  Like there is no way you can imagine a color you have never witnessed.  Cannot do it.

So, it follows we cannot hear what we have not heard, but there is so much evidence that hearing is not just the tympanic membrane or the ear as we know it.  We can feel vibrations.  We can feel sound .

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 12, 2019 12:25 PM MDT
      September 12, 2019 12:16 PM MDT

It's just a cue to help them understand what's happening in the scene. The same expressions and setup could mean someone is sad, angry, daydreaming, etc. The note about the music indicates something more is happening or about to happen. It's necessary and I don't think they're creating music in their head to go along. 

On a similar note, I was watching A Handmaid's Tale a few weeks back. I had CC on by chance. At one point, it mentioned that the sound of dogs barking could be heard in the background. I'm actually hard of hearing, so I didn't actually hear the sound- I only read that it was happening.

Alas, the significance was initially lost on me. It was only through reading fan forums later that someone mentioned the punishment for a specific crime in the show was to be torn apart by dogs. Aha! The dogs were actually a vital clue or setting an emotional stage for what might come. That sound totally changed the scene. It became incredibly chilling instead of just contemplative. 

When a hearing person watches a show, we get all kinds of audio information like that, be it in music or background sounds. It's up to us to put the pieces together to understand which parts are significant or play into the story. A good CCer will write in as much information as possible to give Deaf viewers the same experience. 
      September 12, 2019 10:14 AM MDT

No, I really doubt it.  Music is not the soundtrack of a dead person's conscious life.  Think of how we so often date things by the music of the time.  People who are deaf, particularly those who have been deaf all of their lives, don't do that.  
      September 12, 2019 11:01 PM MDT