Discussion » Questions » Family » Parents are supposed to protect their children. They are not supposed to use/abuse/exploit them. Why do some parents treat their children with so little respect/love?

Parents are supposed to protect their children. They are not supposed to use/abuse/exploit them. Why do some parents treat their children with so little respect/love?

Posted - September 15, 2016

Responses

Probably ignorant, stupid, uneducated, don't care, treated bad themselves,

September 15, 2016 12:21 PM MDT

They probably only know what was given to them.  At least there are more young adults in today's world delaying marriage and having a family.  Hopefully it's because they realize the awesome responsibility in being a good parent.

September 15, 2016 12:29 PM MDT

• Because contrary to what society teaches you, not all humans are fit to be parents.
      September 15, 2016 12:32 PM MDT

Some people treat their kids like they were treated.

Some people just don't care because they didn't want  

the kid in the first place. Some people are attached to drugs and alcohol that control them,

and they could care less about anything else. Some are too busy with their life to deal with a kid,

in a dysfunctional family always fighting the kid gets tossed around.

.....some people are stuck in a social situation that keeps them in anger, resentment,

sometimes of themselves even. Some families with adoption situations that get out of control,

because there is no love. There is no love 

My mother , whoever she was threw me away, shortly after birth. Left me in a cardboard box

at a greyhound bus station. i guess i don't know the reason. Parents that adopted me split up

new mom wasn't into a kid. A family without love is the cause of many problems.

so we still have so many reasons?...

what about the failed parent at their thing and tries to force the kid into what they failed at,

or the star struck mom making all of the beauty queen scenes with the kid? haha maybe.

September 15, 2016 3:35 PM MDT

•   September 15, 2016 9:48 PM MDT

• :-(  

September 15, 2016 9:53 PM MDT

• True

September 15, 2016 9:54 PM MDT

The answer really is, Lack of natural affection. Sadly, some children come from abusive families in which parents have shown no natural affection for their offspring. (2 Timothy 3:1-5) In addition, parents wrestle with their own inherited tendency to lose self-control, to say things they do not mean, and to use poor judgment in other ways with their children. 

September 20, 2016 4:10 PM MDT

Good point PeaPod. They only know what their parents gave them and most parents I think really try hard to do their best. Some people should never be parents. I remember my mom complaining to me about how SHE was raised. Thank you for your thoughtful answer.  One problem is that being a parent starts with having a baby. There is no preparation for it. I mean you can read all the books you want and you still have to learn on the job. There is no dry run. Happy Wednesday! :)

September 21, 2016 2:02 AM MDT

Truer words were never spoken. Some folks KNOW they are not parent material and don't have kids. I admire them. I wish there were some sort of infallible "parent" test everyone who wants to have kids could take FIRST to determine who would be good at it and who wouldn't. Thank you for your reply BABB and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)

September 21, 2016 2:05 AM MDT

Oh geez Baba I had no idea of your childhood experiences. I am so sorry that you didn't grow up in a loving home. You are a testament to how possible it is to overcome unfortunate experiences. Thank you for sharing that with us and Happy Wednesday m'dear! :)

September 21, 2016 2:08 AM MDT

I wish there were a test folks had to take to become parents. Weed out the ones who wouldn't do a good job. I  mean we need tests and licenses for things that are not so important as being a parent. Seems odd to me that there are no requirements needed. Thank you for your reply ANP and Happy Wednesday to thee!  :)

September 21, 2016 2:12 AM MDT