Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What are some examples of the dumbest metrics or statistical measures you've seen or heard?

What are some examples of the dumbest metrics or statistical measures you've seen or heard?

I was struck by a recent article which touted one aspect of the "amazing economy" under Trump. It noted that wage growth for lower-income people had actually passed wage growth for higher income people. This may be true, but it is also largely irrelevant.

The numbers I recall were 5% wage growth for low-income workers versus about 4% for high-income workers. That sounds nice, but consider 5% of $20k is $1,000. In comparison, 4% of $100k is $4,000. So, with this fabulous reversal in wage growth statistics, wealth/income inequality still continues to grow dramatically.

Another one is the debate about NATO member spending on their military budgets, which was tied to GDP (e.g. member nations were supposed to spend a certain percentage of GDP on defense). This doesn't make ANY sense. While it's true that, all other things being equal, a nation-state's military capability is largely proportional to its economic capacity (which is why the Allies crushed the Axis powers in WWII). But all other things are almost never equal.  For example, Iraq's GDP was about $100 billion/year throughout the 1990s. In 2003, the United States easily invaded it and defeated its military. In contrast, North Korea's estimated GDP is about $40 billion, and it is invasion-proof because it has nuclear weapons. So why tie military spending to GDP?

What are your examples of dumb/useless measures of data?

Posted - December 28, 2019

Responses

Can you please explain this to My 2 Cents?  She can explain it to me.  This is over my head.

(this is a funny joke)  

THANK YOU FOR THIS AMAZING EXPLANATION THAT I COULD ONLY COPY/PASTE SOMEONE ELSE TO DO THIS JUSTICE.  I KNOW YOU DID THIS FROM YOUR BRAIN PAN.  

GOOD JOB BIRD BRAIN.  
      December 28, 2019 4:13 PM MST

2nd Answer:

How far can you shove a yardstick up Trump's anal sphincter?  

About 3 Renkins.

https://www.google.com/search?q=renkin+equation&oq=renkin&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l6.14982j1j9&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 28, 2019 5:08 PM MST
      December 28, 2019 4:17 PM MST

As best I can tell, the Renkin equation applies to diffusion of solutes in a solution at the microscopic or molecular level. 

Unless you're claiming that Trump's rear orifice is microscopic in size (the jokes practically write themselves...), I'm not quite sure how this applies.
      December 28, 2019 4:27 PM MST

I didn't understand your question until you mentioned the Renkin equation. That I can deal with. But what the trump does that have to do with the question? And who gives a trump? This post was edited by Element 99 at December 28, 2019 5:13 PM MST
      December 28, 2019 5:10 PM MST