Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Medicine question, part 2..

Medicine question, part 2..

Hello again,

If you're ill, do you believe your doctor will prescribe the RIGHT medicine, or does the manufacturer know what the RIGHT medicine is??  I ask because I have faith that my doctor knows MORE than the drug maker..  Am I nuts? 

Do YOU ask your doctor to prescribe a medicine that you've seen advertised?? 

excon

Posted - December 31, 2019

Responses

• I accept the doctors recommendation but take the pharmacists final word.  They are the true drug experts, not the manufacturer nor the doctor.  The pharmacists opinion always carries the most weight for me and for good reason.
      December 31, 2019 3:35 AM MST

Hello Glis:

So, what do you do if the pharmacist disagrees with your doctor?

excon
      December 31, 2019 3:52 AM MST

• Talk to my doctor again.  Doctors aren't experts on medication and they aren't meant to be.  Pharmacists are.  Research moves so fast it isn't reasonable to expect them to keep up on the drugs  given their position and advances in their own field.
      December 31, 2019 4:23 AM MST

That happened to me this year. My Doc prescribed me a powerful NSAID and the pharmacist say it should not be used by those older than 65. They went back and forth until the pharmacy finally filled it. By then I no longer needed it.
      December 31, 2019 7:08 AM MST

One wants to trust their doctor.  However, I've watched doctors Google medications right there in the examination room - and still get it wrong!  I'd go to the pharmacist to pick the med up only to be told that its does NOT go with my current meds and not to take it.  You'd think the doctor would have known this. 
    I had a doctor once who was a pill pusher. He'd prescribe whatever the pharma reps told him to (before the days of computers).  
      December 31, 2019 10:00 AM MST

I don't take but two medications, both of which have to do with my a-fib.  I trusted the cardiologist to dispense the correct medications, but verified on line.
      December 31, 2019 11:43 AM MST