Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How would you feel about Apple granting a ‘back door” to their smartphones, so the government can bypass your passcode?

How would you feel about Apple granting a ‘back door” to their smartphones, so the government can bypass your passcode?

It’s what the Chinese demanded, but have not received*, and now President Chump is insinuating he wants it too. 

*This technology has not been created. Yet. 

Posted - January 23, 2020

Responses

I don't care.

January 23, 2020 7:17 PM MST

I've long been aware that a few of us are just a bit wiser than the rest.  I use a Samsung Gusto flip which is perfect. And it's my favorite color, navy blue.
      January 23, 2020 8:41 PM MST

Very wise grasshopper.

January 23, 2020 9:00 PM MST

We've already given up much to much privacy willingly and I'm afraid that if that happens it will become the norm.
    In answer to your question, I would be seriously pissed off.
    This is why I choose not to indulge in that over-priced status symbol.

King Donald has so much love for the American people that he is willing to sell us out, yet I'm sure some poor misguided trump-sucker will make the moronic comment that it will only affect stupid Millenials and liberal elites, thus it's all good.  *smh*
      January 23, 2020 7:37 PM MST

I think many people spill their entire existence onto social media, such access to their devices would make very little difference to them. Regardless, the larger problem, in my mind, comes from the potential for abuse.
    If the govt could get in, how much longer until hackers, foreign and domestic, could too? 
    The wisest practice IMO, is not storing sensitive or incriminating data on our devices at all. 

January 23, 2020 8:22 PM MST

Oh come on, you're trying to sell common sense.  ;)
      January 23, 2020 8:44 PM MST

Considering how much money is made selling ridiculousness, wonder if I could make a buck or two, eh? 
      January 24, 2020 3:24 AM MST

Regardless, the larger problem, in my mind, comes from stupidity...
      January 23, 2020 9:02 PM MST

Very true.

People willingly handover personal and intimate details of their daily lives on sites like Facebook.
    They enjoy the comfort of knowing where they are going through GPS enabled devices, blissfully ignorant that in-turn, others know where they are at any moment. They happily download new apps that want access to their location, their files, their pictures with not another thought as to who designed the app or why exactly that info is needed. 
    They freely store their passwords, credit card info, and financials on their devices so they do not have to remember the data or look it up.
    They gleefully invite devices that eavesdrop through audio and visual into their homes, privy to their daily lives.
    They happily give up their personal security for the convenience of having their home entry monitored and remotely locked & unlocked.

We deserve what we have allowed happening to us.

January 23, 2020 9:27 PM MST

Yes, those Alexa-type devices are just alarming, when you think about it. They are listening to you, and everyone with you all the time, in your home. And they are being hacked. Like the Ring home monitor cameras.

Privacy relinquished by naive lemmings. For a fee. Wow. Joe Stalin must be spinning in his grave.  

January 24, 2020 3:30 AM MST

I marvel daily about the choices people make.  No GPS for me; I keep an atlas in the car.  People here were horrified when they found out I drove from Washington State to South Florida without GPS.  Their horror horrified me.  I remember number like phone numbers, account numbers, and credit card numbers.  There is nothing on my little cheap flip phone that would tell anyone anything about me.  It stays turned off and in my purse unless I need it while out.  As far as devices like Alexa.....that is when I knew society had been led past the point of no return.  When my kids come I tell them I don't want to see their phones at all, and no, I will not turn on the wifi.
      January 24, 2020 5:01 PM MST

Hey, don't be harshing on Alexa!

Cousin Petra and Alexa are the best of pals...

January 24, 2020 5:04 PM MST

• I know.  I am always very careful about how I handle all of my incriminating data.
      January 25, 2020 4:38 AM MST

My AARP ( low tech) phone is all I use This post was edited by Beans - The Silent Generation at January 24, 2020 5:02 PM MST
      January 23, 2020 8:41 PM MST

I wonder if Carlin had a smartphone.
      January 24, 2020 6:51 AM MST

Let me check with my friend.
      January 24, 2020 10:26 PM MST

•   January 25, 2020 4:41 AM MST