SapphicHeart
thunder-wright
Zack - Mr. GenXer
Harry
tropicalclock
Lulu'sMom
Salt and Red Pepper
Moi
PeaPod
JimmyCrackCornButYouDon'tCare
pearl
President Mayhem vs. Sharonna
Jaimie
SA (SuperA)  :)
TammyV2.0
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » Are internet websites and social media destroying our ability to come to a consensus on anything?

Are internet websites and social media destroying our ability to come to a consensus on anything?

Why, when you can find like minded folks to share and indulge any belief?

• 857
    I think it's more the use of media to manufacture consensus that is destroying our ability to effectively communicate and compromise on a given course of action. It has created an* atmosphere of bad-faith.

We see it all the time, people take tidbits of incomplete personal information (party affiliation, religious classification, level of education etc.) from a 'profile' and use them to form far-reaching yet completely unsubstantiated conclusions about otherwise unknown individuals. It's an unhealthy mode of interaction that is actively encouraged by many who directly benefit from manufactured consensus. This post was edited by ForkNdaRoad at January 12, 2017 8:05 PM MST
    2

• 4752
    yes, kinda.

The social media experiment hasn't shown to have good results as more and more people have taken to it.  Especially with the rise of outlets like Twitter and facebook styles of it.  The benefits haven't outweighed the consequences by a long shot.

It's fun, addictive, and interesting.  Ultimately it cause more problems though. Yet, it's here and it isn't going anywhere so even if you don't use it, the negative effects are just as the same as if you don't for the most part.
    2

• 1015
    As if you do. I'm not correcting you. I understand you.
    0

• 3128
    seems like it
    1

• 1015
    My girl pearl ;)
    0

• 622
    Nah. We never had consensus anyway. It's always possible to find groups -- on or off line -- who share our ideas. The more interesting people (however uncomfortable) are those who don't. :) 
    0

• 1015
    I don't think you appreciate how much the internet has increased the ability to find people who share a particular ideology or thought and have a person never interact with others who differ. If ever heard their opinions might make the difference between being an open minded moderate or an intolerant extremist. This post was edited by O-uknow at January 12, 2017 8:16 PM MST
    0

• 622
    Probably not. I tend to avoid sites where everybody is beating the same drum.
    0