Active Now

Malizz
Stu Spelling Bee
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Can you be a.Trump supporter without being racist?

Can you be a.Trump supporter without being racist?

Bannons views are simple and overly stated. 
Is it possible for Trump to support him and not be like him? Is it possible for all Trump supporters to not be racist?

Posted - February 1, 2017

Responses

• That's a good point Gator. 
    Maybe we should give Trump the benefit of the doubt. I mean, he did make it to President.
    I get what you're saying. Thanks G.
      February 1, 2017 2:58 PM MST

• The countries banned are Not the breeding ground of terrorists ... the ones he didn't ban are... they just happen to be the ones he had business interests in also
      February 1, 2017 1:29 PM MST

• What do you think, Oz?
    Do you think that Trumps association with Bannon, makes his views on racism at least suspicious?
      February 1, 2017 2:06 PM MST

The Iranian government has been funding Hezbollah for years. Yemen has been the home to many al-Qaida for years. Remember the attack on the USS Cole? Sudan has been on the US list of countries that have state sponsored for decades. Libya is going through a civil war so who really knows what is going on there. And as i said there are others that should have been included. The ban is for just 90 days.  
      February 1, 2017 2:40 PM MST

• Good points all... the article i read in i think the new York times stated that no American citizens had been killed in the us by any citizens of the countries banned ...
      February 1, 2017 2:48 PM MST

• Yes.  Dismissing all the people who voted for Trump as racist and/or misogynist  is a mistake in identifying how he came about.
    It may feel satisfying and be a comforting answer, but that's about it.
      February 1, 2017 11:11 AM MST

• You have in your masterful way, again, managed to stay neutral. )
      February 1, 2017 11:12 AM MST

• Noooooo.  I'm not being neutral. Don't make that mistake either.
      February 1, 2017 11:17 AM MST

• Aren't you riding the fence on that Glis? What does that even mean?
      February 1, 2017 11:28 AM MST

• No. 
      February 1, 2017 11:50 AM MST

• : ),
    Thanks for responding Glis, you know im just giving you a hard time. We're just talking. 
      February 1, 2017 12:21 PM MST

• I'm not American; I'm retucent about getting involved in these discussions simply because I am an outsider. But. If the American consciousness feels as if it is / has been under attack from foreign incursions which have in effect retarded the country, how is there not a racial element if every ill is tantamount to the fault of the foreign, the alien.
    Don't gorget that this country went through an eerily similar thing with Brexit. All ills would be cured by stopping foreigners telling us what to do and getting rid of as many as possible. That is what the majoirity was led to believe.
    How is that belief in national resurgence not racially tinged.
      February 2, 2017 1:03 AM MST

• Because I think your focusing on just one element that voted for him.  There's a lot more to the current state of unrest than just just one or two things. 

Also prejudice, xenophobia, and racism  aren't all synonymous.  They have heavy cross-over and racism includes the former two, but still. Nor am I trying to make light of them. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 2, 2017 5:43 AM MST
      February 2, 2017 5:09 AM MST

I believe so.  I have family and a few acquaintances that voted for him and I feel certain they are not racist.  

I think there are a number of people that just couldn't support Hillary Clinton and thought Trump was the lesser of the two evils.  I also know some people will always vote conservative, while others will always vote liberal.  

None of us are going to love everything about any candidate and I am sure that there are people that voted for Trump don't approve of everything he does.  That would be mindless on my part to think that.
      February 1, 2017 11:11 AM MST

• I feel sorta like that. But im stuck on one tiny thing. If im willing to overlook something, whatever, let's say.... I can understand this. . ."We have bigger problems than to worry about women being beaten by their husbands, we got to build us a here wall, and we gotta make them Chinese pay for trade, and all that." I get that. But then I pick a wife beater as my Secretary of everything. Do you see where im coming from?
      February 1, 2017 11:20 AM MST

I hear you.  It's that sort of thing that I could not overlook at all.  
      February 1, 2017 5:50 PM MST

Maybe the uninformed Trump supporters think they're not racist.

Birds of a feather flock together.  He Who Keeps Company with the Wolf Will Learn How to Howl. ~proverbs

Donald Trump’s Four Decades Of Racism.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ari-rabin-havt/donald-trumps-four-decade_b_10509158.html

This post was edited by Beans/SilentGeneration at February 1, 2017 5:15 PM MST
      February 1, 2017 11:47 AM MST

• That's my contention, although I wouldn't categorize ALL of his supporters as uninformed. There are a lot of highly informed and educated people within his ranks. So I kinda cringe when I see people lumping them all together as a ball of uneducated rednecks. I don't think that's true at all. 
    I think that some are racists and have found a legitimate outlet for their racism in Trump/Bannon. 
    I also think that a lot more were just fed up with the status quo. And we're willing to overlook those things in favor of a safer more prosperous America. 
    The question remains tho, how can you make it ok in your head. You know?
    Thanks for responding Beans. And for the proverb. You know? Im not a religious person, but Proverbs have always been one of my favorites reads.
      February 1, 2017 12:28 PM MST

I agree with PeaPod because I also know people who voted for Trump because they don't like Hillary.
    They are not racist, they are just misinformed about what they think Trump will do for the country.
    If he does anything to improve things, they will overlook all the other things he won't do to improve things.
    That has been the case with no matter who is in power.
    We all take the good with the bad.
    With Trump surrounding himself with people who are so far right and people like Bannon, IMO the bad outweighs the good by a mile.
      February 1, 2017 12:05 PM MST

• That's a great point right there. It reminds me of the story of the farmer that had such a bad mice problem, that he got himself a couple of cats. But then the cats started multiplying to where they became a problem themselves, so he got himself a couple of dogs. With time, the dogs started running and chewing everything around in the house, so he got himself a mountain lion. Which was able to keep the dogs in line. . . But then...the mountain lion sat in the middle of the living room and would not let anybody get passed him.  So.he got an elephant, but the elephant was too big and expensive to feed. At the end, he went and got a couple of mice, to scare the elephant away. . . .the result was a half destroyed house, and he still had to deal with the mice.
    Even if Trump is the guy to fix all of our woes, and don't get me wrong, im not a trump basher, I agree with some of his policies, and I do believe that it is time to quit pissy footing around international policy, I do still  fear that at the end the solution may be worse than the malady.
    Do you see what im saying? This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 1, 2017 6:39 PM MST
      February 1, 2017 12:37 PM MST

Yes I see what you are saying. Great analogy.
      February 1, 2017 1:07 PM MST

• Btw, I do also, know people who voted for Trump that I would have a problem believing they are racist. 
    Which makes it even the more weirdier for me.
      February 1, 2017 2:09 PM MST

Lago, I posted a similar type question a few weeks ago.  I was asking if the results of this election had made you look differently at anyone you knew.  I just see how ugly the fighting is on both sides and wonder what toll this has taken on some relationships.  I know I was surprised to find out a few very level headed people in my life voted for Trump.  I admit to being taken back a bit, knowing their heart.  But when I listen to their reasons, at least with the people I care about, their reasons have nothing to do with hate.  If it did, they wouldn't be anyone I would have in my life.  

I guess the issue isn't that cut and dry.  
      February 1, 2017 6:44 PM MST

1. Your first statement has a false dichotom. Brannon's views are not simple. He has made many comments about Islam, which are not simple, nor overly stated, because he means what he says. 
    2. White House Press Secretary, Sean Spicer said Trump doesn't share Brannon's opinions about Islam. 
    3. I imagine anything is possible, but not probable. Trump must share similar values and goals with Bannon, or he wouldn't have been chosen. 
    4. The generalization "all" is never correct. I know Republicans that are "one issue" Republicans. They are "pro-lifers". Nothing else matters. 
      February 1, 2017 3:48 PM MST

• On your number one, I suppose were just going to have to disagree.
    Number two, I take your word for it. I don't know what they say. Ill have to look into that. Seems like something I should have known. Sorry about that.
    On your number three, couldn't we say the same about trump supporters?
    If Trump.must share similar values with Bannon, wouldn't Trump supporters share the same values with him, and consequently with Bannon?
    I agree with you on number four. And those are the ones im trying to understand. From what I hear is a matter of considering the country's problems big enough to where those things don't matter.
    I can accept that. And who knows maybe they have a point. But I cant give to much credence to those who completely deny Bannons racist history. That's kind of a conversation stopper right there.
    Thank you Marguerite. 
      February 1, 2017 7:20 PM MST