Active Now

Malizz
Flint Ironstag
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Have you ever started reading a book that was written so bad that you stopped reading it before you finished it?

Have you ever started reading a book that was written so bad that you stopped reading it before you finished it?

There are two for me, Wicked and 50 Shades of Gray. Both were horrible. 

Image result for bad book names

Posted - March 21, 2017

Responses

• I subscribe to :  https://www.freebooksy.com/I I get an email every day with free books to read. Some have been pretty good, some I deleted after 10 minutes of reading. :) I found a series calld Zombie Fallout. The first book was from the link above, the rest I bought. I'm about to start on the 8th book in the series. 
      March 21, 2017 7:55 AM MDT

• Not too sure what you like to read... but there's a series caked repairman jack .... omg .... I've read about 20 of them... greatwriting... great characters you really care about  and a total developing plot that gathers in the background like an approaching  storm ... can't recommend them highly enough
      March 21, 2017 8:02 AM MDT

• I like horror, sci-fi, fantasy and just about anything except romance books. The series I'm reading now is about the zombie apocalypse, it's called Zombie Fallout. I just finished the last book and I'm waiting to buy the next one. I lost my debit card and I'm waiting for my new one to come in. As soon as it gets here, I'm going straight to Amazon and getting the next one. 
      March 23, 2017 2:29 AM MDT

• Karen, from what you like, i promise you the series I mentioned is right up your alley ... Google it for some reviews and you'll see what i mean
      March 23, 2017 4:09 AM MDT

• I have with those two you mentioned and it's rare that I  don't try to finish them but I have to agree with you. Those two books were horrible and I never even made it half way through. I manged to finish one with regret as it was so crappy called: The Last Ship. I saw that they made a TV series out of it and from the short bits I saw of it? The TV show was nothing like the boring long book and looked much better. I still couldn't bring myself to watch the show. Horrible boring book.
      March 21, 2017 6:25 AM MDT

• Please see my reply to Randy......that was supposed to be for you.....
      March 21, 2017 7:48 AM MDT

(badly)

Joseph Conrad's "Lord Jim".  Not necessarily a bad writing job, its archaic style made it tedious and boring for me. Being a classic, I wanted to like it, I really and truly did, so I kept trudging through chapter after chapter, but it seemed to get worse the more I read. I put it down and picked it back up several times over a few weeks, always wanting to give it the benefit of the doubt. I realized that I had no sense of connectivity with what I read anew and what I had read previously, a rarity for me, so it meant I wasn't enthralled by it or invested in it like I am with other books. I made it approximately halfway through the entire book before giving up altogether. 
    ~
      March 21, 2017 6:54 AM MDT

• I got half way through Wicked and had to put it down. It was so boring I just couldn't finish it. 50 Shades was just too stupid to read. 
      March 21, 2017 7:34 AM MDT

• OOps, this was supposed to be for Rooster.....
      March 21, 2017 7:48 AM MDT

You can cut it from here and paste it where it should have gone then come back here and delete it. I do that all the time when I catch a mistake I've made. 
    ~
      March 21, 2017 8:05 AM MDT

• I know. I've done that before. I just felt like doing something different. :)
      March 22, 2017 3:41 AM MDT

• I agree! Both were supposed to be so good and both stunk!
      March 21, 2017 7:58 AM MDT

• My friend who loaned me Wicked, wouldn't even take the book back when I tried to return it to him. He hated it as well. I loaned it to another friend to give to his sister, she didn't finish it either....I refused it when he tried to return it as well. :)
      March 21, 2017 8:00 AM MDT

• I heard that they made a second "Wicked" book but I wasn't going to touch it!
      March 21, 2017 8:11 AM MDT

• That was my point....I've read books that had grammar like that. 
      March 21, 2017 7:49 AM MDT

• I think I remember enjoying Lord Jim although, since it's 60 years since I read it, I don't recall it. That's a little unusual. Maybe I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought. 

But I didn't comment to tell you that. I wanted to say I had a smile at your (badly). :) 
      March 21, 2017 9:00 AM MDT

• LOL....I really did do that on purpose. :)
      March 21, 2017 9:51 AM MDT

I sometimes wonder if people bait me. 

:)
      March 22, 2017 6:01 AM MDT

• I would NEVER do something like that.........You believe me, right??

March 23, 2017 2:31 AM MDT

• Yes I have....can't remember the names of them though!
      March 21, 2017 6:59 AM MDT

• For me, it's just the two I mentioned.
      March 21, 2017 7:36 AM MDT

• More times than I can count or remember.  I'm very critical and don't want to waste my time on something that IMO, sucks so once I start to become disinterested or annoyed..... I'm done
      March 21, 2017 7:28 AM MDT

• In his earlier works, you had to get half way through a Stephen King book before it really got good. He spent a lot of pages on the set-up. 
      March 21, 2017 7:37 AM MDT

• I started to read Along Came a Spider hearing how good the Alex Cross series was.   Got about 3/4 the way through and couldn't wast any more of my time.  Thought aI would give Patterson another chance with Kiss the Girls and it was even worse.
      March 21, 2017 7:33 AM MDT

• Not to sound harsh, but stuff like that makes illiteracy seem like a good thing
      March 21, 2017 7:34 AM MDT