Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
WelbyQuentin
Zack
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Looks Like a Duck and Quacks Like a Duck…

Looks Like a Duck and Quacks Like a Duck…

I know we’re not supposed to say this out loud because it’s so outrageous to suggest that ISIS and American conservatives might have anything in common. And obviously the level of outrageous and murderous violence perpetrated by ISIS has no parallel in the American political system–but that’s also because of the secular counterweight of civil society and constitutional democracy. Culturally, there are a lot of striking similarities between the conservative reactionary ethos in both the western and the Islamic worlds.

Hate evolution? check.

Hate sexually liberated and empowered women? Check.

Love guns and hate gays? Check.

Hate big liberal government? Check.

Believe that society should be organized according to religious principles and that secular people should have no right to curtail religious “freedom”? Check.

Want to empower down-home rural principles against those corrupt city bubble dwellers? Check.

Believe in eye-for-an-eye retributive justice? Check.

Love to sport big Duck Dynasty-style beards? Check.

Just how much quacking do we need to see here before we acknowledge they’re just differing species of the same family of ducks?

(Source: washingtonmonthly.com)

Posted - August 23, 2016

Responses

Ciao...

August 23, 2016 7:55 AM MDT

Eh, someone like that won't stop me. Pfft.

August 23, 2016 8:02 AM MDT

I know that.. :)

August 23, 2016 8:05 AM MDT

:-)

August 23, 2016 8:07 AM MDT

• Awe, that duck is so cute. I love ducks. I want one of those duck callers so I can have all the ducks come to my yard, and I'll feed them and protect them from all the people who want to shoot and eat them.

August 23, 2016 8:25 AM MDT

You got a great heart. :-)
      August 23, 2016 9:32 AM MDT

Mmhmmm. But always reliable.
      August 23, 2016 9:33 AM MDT

Lolz. ;-)
      August 23, 2016 9:34 AM MDT

I know right?! It's good there are some reliable people around to lecture me about good behaviour, and telling me what's right and what's wrong. Such a relief, now I know not to broad paint AND furthermore doing my best to learn the differences within the conceptualisation of democracies. Although I'm rather comfortable around the latter as several presidents of the US seems having misinterpret it all too. Wow. But at least I know this now. Thank goodness we have such priceless and unselfish people around here. I already feel much better, and most of all more clever.
      August 23, 2016 9:40 AM MDT

To be honest with you, Some1... I do care but only to a point where I don't care any longer... The persona above has made several replies inside other questions here where the OP makes the same approach as I do, and not once did they oppose to those posts about broad painting or any other. Why? Hmm, I have my ideas but cannot be sure. Let it be their problem. I'm done dealing with them inside this thread. I gave them my ciao. Let them keep repeating themselves. Doesn't change what I already told, and doesn't make them look more right. People will read for themselves and get different results on what has been said. I got no problem with that. And yes, you do care when you do. It makes you who you are. :-)
      August 23, 2016 9:48 AM MDT

It could be a pig posing as a duck.

NEW YORK — Donald Trump and his Republican allies say Hillary Clinton is weak, lacks stamina and doesn’t look presidential.

Intent on undermining his Democratic rival, Trump and GOP backers are increasingly relying on rhetoric that academics and even some Republican strategists say has an undeniable edge focused on gender. His criticism of Clinton goes beyond “Crooked Hillary,” and complaints about her use of a private email server as secretary of state and her foreign policy decisions.

Clinton, Trump said in a speech last week, “lacks the mental and physical stamina to take on ISIS and all the many adversaries we face.”

He has repeatedly called attention to Clinton’s voice, saying listening to her gives him a headache. Last December, he mocked her wardrobe. “She puts on her pantsuit in the morning,” he told a Las Vegas audience. At rallies and in speeches, the billionaire mogul has also used stereotypes about women to demean Clinton, who stands to become America’s first female president if she wins in November.

A frequent point of criticism: Clinton doesn’t look like a typical president.

“Now you tell me she looks presidential, folks,” he said at a recent rally in New Hampshire.

“I look presidential,” he insisted.

Trump’s allies have piled on. Running mate Mike Pence often uses the word “broad-shouldered” to describe Trump’s leadership and foreign policy style, a tacit swipe at Clinton. Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani argued that all of the miles Clinton logged during as secretary of state resulted in more harm than benefit.

“Maybe it would’ve been better if she had stayed home,” said Giuliani, who more recently questioned Clinton’s health, suggesting an internet search of the words “Hillary Clinton illness.”

“She is the first woman from a major party running for president, so gender is always at play,” said Dianne Bystrom, the director of the Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics at Iowa State University.

Clinton pushed back Monday against insinuations she’s in poor health, saying on ABC’s “Jimmy Kimmel Live” that the campaign is like an “alternative reality” where she has to “answer questions about, ‘Am I alive, how much longer will I be alive?’ and the like.”

Gender has always been tricky for Clinton. Throughout her career, she has struggled with how to confront gender norms, ranging from the extent to which to embrace the historic potential of her candidacy to whether she should be referred to by her married name.

Advertisement

Trump, meanwhile, has accused Clinton of “using the woman card” to boost her appeal. That may not have helped his standing with female voters: A recent survey by the Pew Research Center found Clinton with a 19-percentage-point lead over Trump among women. Trump, meanwhile, has a 12-percentage-point advantage with men.

Katie Packer, a Republican strategist who founded a political consulting firmed aimed at appealing to Republican women, said that Trump has a history of seizing on his rivals’ perceived weaknesses. In Clinton’s case, she said, that appears to include her sex.

“He clearly views women as sort of the weaker sex, so I think he’s going to look to exploit that with Hillary,” said Packer, who helped run an independent anti-Trump organization during the primaries.

Trump’s rallies are filled with blatant misogyny. Supporters wear “Trump vs. Tramp” political buttons, and have even harsher slogans and signs.

At the same time, Trump has a long history of hiring female executives and last week became the first Republican in the party’s history to appoint a woman, pollster Kellyanne Conway, as his campaign manager.

Trump’s campaign did not respond to requests for comment Monday, though in the past he has dismissed sexism charges as “nonsense.”

Yet Conway herself has advocated using Clinton’s sex against her.

Speaking to The New York Times in April, when she was still backing a Trump rival, Conway said Trump’s efforts to turn Clinton’s gender against her could prove effective.

“By taking gender head-on, Trump refuses to cede women voters and so-called women’s issues to Hillary just because she is a woman,” she told the paper. “He is ‘Swiftboating’ her by throwing shade on what should be a strength.” Her mention of “Swiftboating” was referring to widely debunked criticism of Democratic nominee John Kerry’s war record in the 2004 campaign.

Kelly Dittmar, a scholar at the Rutgers University’s Eagleton Institute of Politics’ Center for American Women and Politics, who has been tracking the gender dynamics in the race, said that even during the primaries when Trump was competing mostly against men, he took on the role of strong man, demeaning rivals.

Trump notably belittled his primary rivals, tagging Jeb Bush as “low-energy,” and disparaging Ted Cruz as “Lyin’ Ted,” and Marco Rubio as “Little Marco.”

“His message has been: I’m the manliest candidate, I’m the strongest, I know how to protect women — which is a pretty paternalistic take on it — I’m going to destroy ISIS and be very tough, to the point where he’s talking about the size of his own manhood,” she said of the candidate. “If you’re trying to prove you’re the manliest, then you’re trying to emasculate your opponent.”

August 23, 2016 9:57 AM MDT

No...the loudmouth with the comb-over who always makes duck faces.

August 23, 2016 10:13 AM MDT

Bwahahahaha... Something like this?

August 23, 2016 10:31 AM MDT

• Yes there are similarities. No, we must not trivialize the violence of ISIS, but ideologically, there is more in common with radical Islam and the Christian Right than they would like to admit, especially in regard to social issues. 

August 23, 2016 11:18 AM MDT

You ought to know better than that. There is no such thing as "the Family of Ducks". Creation was individual for each and every kind. The kind of ducks that are black with red heads, the kind of ducks that have a thin tuft of feathers sticking out on the top of their heads, etc, etc. All that talk about families and species are just evolutionist obfuscation to try and fool people  into thinking that all the Lord's creation is nothing special and happened by chance.

Or so i have been told ;-))

August 23, 2016 11:25 AM MDT

It's all in his hands, the manhood... Isn't it?!

August 23, 2016 11:44 AM MDT

August 23, 2016 2:57 PM MDT

August 23, 2016 2:59 PM MDT

Aww. Thank you dear.
      August 23, 2016 3:00 PM MDT

Thank you. Any violence can never be excused.
      August 23, 2016 3:02 PM MDT

Hmm. Makes me wonder... What if there's no Lord... What if I'm right in my non-believing in any God(s)... What's left in all the mess created by the most radical and reactionary movements within the religions?
      August 23, 2016 3:08 PM MDT

That's the guy...I can't remember his name. Is it Donald Duck?

August 24, 2016 7:19 AM MDT

Mmhmmm. That's the Donald.
      August 24, 2016 7:26 AM MDT

Ms. Heart, I have often thought about the similarity between the likes of radical Islam, and the far right. For that matter, Communism had much in common with them, too. Death penalty, stiff prison sentencing, not liking gays, general dislike of liberal values such as freedom and democracy, an intolerance for any view except that of the party.
      August 26, 2016 11:39 AM MDT

Mmhmmm. I can't say I haven't had such thoughts too.
      August 26, 2016 11:54 AM MDT